Maui in March Dive Operator Recommendations:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B_Lane

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Maui in March Dive Operator Recommendations:

Heading to Maui and looking for a dive operator. I have about 75 dives mostly in southern California and Cozumel. My wife does not dive so I’m on my own. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

byron

What part of Maui are you staying? How long?

I'll be there next week and am diving with a couple different operations. B&B Scuba out of Kihei for Molikini and south Maui sites for two days, Extended Horizons out of Lahaina for Lanai, and a day of shore diving with Shaka Doug, weather permitting, out of south Maui.

Depends where you are staying...

I will be staying in Kaanapali (Mar 25-Apr 1) and plan to use the guys at All About Fish to rent tanks and weights. Last time I was there in '10, I found the shore diving at Mala Wharf superb and only booked 2 boat trips during 10 day stay.

Then the following week I'll be in Kihei (Apr 2-9) and will be staying in the same building as Maui Dreams so I plan to use them. Again, I plan on doing mostly shore diving at sites like Makena Bay, 5 caves and any other cool shores spots I come across, with some boat trips mixed in.

On my last trip I used Maui Dive Shop and the experience was underwhelming and I'd prefer to find different operator this trip. Thx CDub, I might just try Mike Severns.

I dove with Lahaina Divers out of Lahaina who were very good. Most of my diving was with Ed Robinson's out of Kihei who were excellent. I also did a scooter dive with Maui Dive Scooters whom I also recommend.

We've been diving with Ed Robinson's for 10 years and will keep diving with them as long as they're in business. :) However, Dive & Sea, Makena Coast Charters, ProDivers, Mike Severns, and B&B are all excellent for S. Maui boat diving. For S. Maui shore diving, Shaka Doug and Maui Dreams can't be beat.

For Lanai, Extended Horizons and Lahaina Divers are your two main choices. We go with Lahaina Divers because the crossing can be rough on the way home and we like the bit 46' Newton dive boats for a better ride. The trade off is that the diving is an "underwater tour" and you only get Al72 tanks. For us an Al72 will last over an hour and we have no problem being the last back on the boat, so we push Lahaina Divers' limits. Extended Horizons uses AL80s and doesn't have as short of dive times.

And of course for scooter diving, our own Greg Walker (Maui Scooter Divers) is reported to be the best...and I believe the reports! One of these days I'll get out there with him. :wink:

We've been diving with Ed Robinson's for 10 years and will keep diving with them as long as they're in business. :) However, Dive & Sea, Makena Coast Charters, ProDivers, Mike Severns, and B&B are all excellent for S. Maui boat diving. For S. Maui shore diving, Shaka Doug and Maui Dreams can't be beat.

For Lanai, Extended Horizons and Lahaina Divers are your two main choices. We go with Lahaina Divers because the crossing can be rough on the way home and we like the bit 46' Newton dive boats for a better ride. The trade off is that the diving is an "underwater tour" and you only get Al72 tanks. For us an Al72 will last over an hour and we have no problem being the last back on the boat, so we push Lahaina Divers' limits. Extended Horizons uses AL80s and doesn't have as short of dive times.

And of course for scooter diving, our own Greg Walker (Maui Scooter Divers) is reported to be the best...and I believe the reports! One of these days I'll get out there with him. :wink:

DiveMaven, suggestions for shore dives in West Maui? I'll be in W.Maui first week of March. I'm considered a rooky and I'm looking for easy shore dives or recommended guide for shore dives on west side. Thanks in advance. Chef Mali.:D

suggestions for shore dives in West Maui? I'll be in W.Maui first week of March. I'm considered a rooky and I'm looking for easy shore dives or recommended guide for shore dives on west side. Thanks in advance. Chef Mali.:D
Three easy good dives in that area are Black Rock at the Sheraton, Old Airport Beach and Kapalua Bay Beach. #'s 3,4,5 on this list: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands Ask someone local how to access Black Rock if you're not going with a gude - I've read the Sheraton operator only rents tanks to guests now. No loss, they were small tanks...

Napili Bay is another option. The north point is good, the better south point diving is all the way around the point though. Most Maui beach dives are best at either point.

You can get tanks at one of the two Maui Dive Shops in the area or I believe Lahaina Divers rents for off-site use also - at least they used to.

Extended Horizons also does guided shore dives. Shore Diving Maui with Extended Horizons Scuba - Top Eco Dive Company - Lahaina, Hawaii
That's all Tiny Bubbles does also - Tim has a good reputation. Scuba Dive Maui Ka'anapali Lahaina Hawaii Snorkel | 808.870.0878 | Tiny Bubbles Scuba Diving Specializing in Private Scuba Dives.Snorkel Tours. and Scuba Diving Instruction on Maui | Let's Get Tanked

I heard really good things about Mala Pier in Lahaina and I believe it can be accessed from the shore. A couple people told me it was their favorite spot, however we we were blown out from any shore diving the week I was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom