What to expect in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave616

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just booked our trip to Coz!

We couldn't do Feb/March this year :depressed: I'll probably book diving soon. We used Tres Pelicanos last year and had a blast.

I've never been in April, other than the water being a few degrees warmer than in February, is there anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in Advance-

P.S. Can anyone confirm if the Bacon Lobster Sandwich is still available at Le Chef and if The Thirsty Cougar has any T-Shirts this year???

Don't know about shirts at The Thirsty Cougar, but Le Chef will never get rid of that sandwich! It's their cash cow.

April trips for me are warmer air and water temps, less chance of port closures, and still a blast regardless because I'm in Cozumel. I don't recall any seasonal issues of any kind, including insects which I suspect is what you're asking about. Yes?

Just relax and enjoy.

Eileen

Don't know about shirts at The Thirsty Cougar, but Le Chef will never get rid of that sandwich! It's their cash cow.

Awesome!

I had heard the current may be stronger??? but I don't recall where I heard that.

Awesome!

I had heard the current may be stronger??? but I don't recall where I heard that.

FWIW, I have been diving Coz for 20+ years, nearly always in April-May. I have had dives with virtually no current and others on the same sites where it was ripping.

Just like Gordon, we dive Coz in April/May every year for almost 20 years. Conditions are usually great, just great. the weather is nice, the summer heat hasn't kicked in yet. You could get some rain, but that usually happens in the late afternoon, evening or overnight.

Dive conditions are fabulous! The vis can be down because of spring plankton blooms, but still 80'+, but can be unlimited on days, or as low as 50-60', depending on how much stuff is floating through the channel.

Water temps around 80. seas usually pretty calm. the crazy current season hasn't really started yet, currents are usually pretty gentle, with the occasional 'odd' current, just depending on what is happening in the Western Caribbean, east of the island.

These of course are general conditions, we did have a Norte blow in in May last year, (the first time EVER in almost 20 years of diving Coz & the first time ports have been closed for us in all those years), extremely unusual.

I have experienced both reverse currents and down drafts in April, but that isn't the usual M.O.

p.s. don't eat lobster, but I can't see Le Chef taking that off the menu, very popular item. Never been to the Thirsty Cougar ... walked past it a couple times ... :D

p.s. don't eat lobster, but I can't see Le Chef taking that off the menu, very popular item. Never been to the Thirsty Cougar ... walked past it a couple times ... :D

Thirsty Cougar is a great place to kill time. My wife and I sit and eat Ceviche w/margaritas. The bartenders usually speak perfect English and have lots of good island info to share (which may only benefit newbees).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom