Ambon - Tips for Airlines? We've been reading bad things.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took Garuda "direct" from Jakarta to Ambon last July. I can confirm it stops in Makassar for refuelling and/or picking up/dropping off passengers. I can also confirm the whole Garuda part of my trip (Singapore - Jakarta - Ambon) was on time, on seemingly brand new planes, booked online using a foreign credit card, with no questions asked about baggage.

On this stop - do you stay on the plane, or do you have to disembark, then re-board?

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post! Though it does seem to be a pain - at least we won't be blindsided by issues, and can be prepared. Our last trip to Indonesia had bunch of issues we were blindsided with. So just knowing what to look out for really helps!:D

Hi,

regarding excess baggage charges I assume that the local staff want's to make some extra Rupiah from the foreigners. That's one of the reasons why it takes them so long to "calculate" the fees.

Expect to pay some extra, ususally it's not that bad for someone just having paid 100s of Dollars for a trip to Indonesia, and then start bargaining, of course with a smile and a laugh.

Worst case insist on taking the luggage onto the plane and hand it to the staff directly at the aircraft to put it into the cargo hold as "delivery at aircraft". Especially if you see locals with a lot more baggage not getting asked to pay extra.

Usually that helps.

Just my 2 cents,

Andy

P.S.: If you worry about the safety of the airlines in Indonesia remember that there are 1000s of domestic flights each day without any issues.

On this stop - do you stay on the plane, or do you have to disembark, then re-board?
Usually you have to disembark but Makassar airport is fairly nice, much better than Jakarta's domestic terminal.
When I stop in Makassar I usually buy a bottle of their Passionfruit syrup (they call the fruit Markisa) which is a fantastic product for pastries, never experienced so much passionfruit tasted condensed in so little syrup. it's a first class product.

I try to find some interesting products from all indonesian airports :
- Makassar gets my vote for Markisa and Toraja coffee beans.
- Jakarta is great for Flores and Toraja coffee beans (though quite expensive). I usually fill my handluggage with coffee beans packs when going back to France, it's the best coffee i've tasted made from a grinding / expresso coffee machine.
- Manado is the place for Klappertaart, a delicious coconut pie.
- Kupang and Maumere are good for honey (Madu asli in bahasa indonesia), very liquid floral taste, excellent in a vodka shot.
- In Bali, I buy ginger drops but beware most of the shopkeepers, they're scammers and will try to inflate your bill with pretended miscalculation.

Well said! I guess it is better for now to deal with the "So Wrong" airport and keep the crowds away!!!
And in a way that's a good thing - if Sorong had a decent airport and direct flights from major cities on proper planes, Raja Ampat would look like Benidorm. In time it might well. But for now, the remoteness saves it...

On this stop - do you stay on the plane, or do you have to disembark, then re-board? :D

We stayed on board, didn't even really wake up properly. I should add that particular flight was absolutely freezing for some reason, probably the coldest plane I've ever been on.

Jamesdiving..Garuda and staying onboard in Makassar sounds like a good reason to fly with Garuda. Ive been trying to work out for a decade why lion air kick you off and make you run and reboard on the late night flight from denpassar for a decade....even when they picked no passengers up!

On the Lion Air flight from Jakarta you get on in jakarta with no stops and get off in Ambon!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post! Though it does seem to be a pain - at least we won't be blindsided by issues, and can be prepared. Our last trip to Indonesia had bunch of issues we were blindsided with. So just knowing what to look out for really helps!:D

Hi, regarding excess baggage charges I assume that the local staff want's to make some extra Rupiah from the foreigners.

Slightly of-topic but, I have a friend who used to work at AirAsia, doing passenger check-ins. They earned a commission on how much overweight charges they collect during their shift. So they were really eager to charge every single Kg of overweight.

My wife and I have rarely been charged for excess baggage fees on Tiger, Lion, or Air Express after numerous inter-island flights in Indonesia. Only once did we move a few items from checked baggage to our carry-on bags. It was a bit silly, since our carry-on bags are commonly way over the weight limit. We try to minimize attention to our carry-on luggage.

Our last trip home from Sorong, we booked a Garuda flight, direct from Sorong to Makassar. After a night in Makassar, we used frequent flyer miles on Singapore air for non-stop return trip to Singapore. What a contrast to flying with Air Merpati or Air Express. Plus, we avoided the Jakarta domestic to international terminal change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom