Going back to Indo in December 2015 - But were....after Raja Ampat??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I stayed at Komodo Dive Resort in April 2013 and loved it. Komodo National Park was the best diving we have done anywhere, and the resort was lovely with delicious food. Being land-based, the resort does appear to get a fair share of beginner divers, and we did have to push a little to go to some of the more well-known sites such as Castle Rock, Crystal Rock, the Cauldron etc. but in the end we did get to go with another experienced couple. Weather can also be an obstacle to get to those Northern sites, so you never know. Laura, our dive master was great and the Italian owner seemed concerned that every guest had an enjoyable time. The topography was also spectacular. Highly recommended!

In April 2014 we visited Weda Resort on Halmahera (N. Malukus) and also had a great trip. Very remote resort--we took a flight from Manado to Ternate and then a speedboat ride over to Halmahera and then a 4 hour drive across the island to the resort. Beautiful soft corals, but we found some of the larger fish lacking--not many large grouper for instance. A few blacktip sharks. But absolutely no crowds which was nice. Food was excellent, many local dishes. Definitely top-notch diving and a beautiful spot, but we preferred the diving in Komodo.

Great info. We have 3 weeks, so I think Komodo will definitely part of the itinerary, 5 days enough? Also, my BF had a hard time with the food at Raja Ampat, so the Italian influence will certainly help.

Murex are who I am planning to use, I have been to Lembeh Resort twice now, and the food there is outragiously fantastic, spoiled for choice and the staff go out of their way to make everything top notch

Bangka can be choppy in december but nothing outrageous just a little more effort some days getting in and out of the boat.
..and sites like paradise reef undiveable with a 2m visibility.
December is habagat western wind, this part is not sheltered anymore (Happened to me)... so it's at your own risk, like i said the problem is with shallow dive sites in Bangka.

Lembeh and bunaken I found very wet in December. But that was three years ago. Bunaken rained all day every day pretty much for a week, lembeh was dry for half a day each day for a week and the sun only shine hard for a few scattered hours. That said the diving in lembeh was incredible hence why I have been back since (in May where weather was better). Bunaken I didn't like and looking where you have been diving I would stick to perhaps just lembeh. Like Luko says Bangka maybe too windy and make the pinnacle diving less attractive? I am off to Ambon and lease islands this week and I chose the destination partly for time of year and more decent diving so maybe look there like the others say.

You might also want to consider Ambon. Maluku divers resort or Dive Into Ambon. I just watched a video of a baby Psychedelic Frog Fish! Super cool!

Great info. We have 3 weeks, so I think Komodo will definitely part of the itinerary, 5 days enough?

Personal opinion only ... either go to Komodo in the season when you can do both the North and the South, or plan on two trips to do both. Five days simply won't do it, and you haven't done Komodo unless you've done both areas. They're different, and both excellent.

Personal opinion only ... either go to Komodo in the season when you can do both the North and the South, or plan on two trips to do both. Five days simply won't do it, and you haven't done Komodo unless you've done both areas. They're different, and both excellent.

highdesert has a good point. Go to Komodo in season - from April to October. A liveaboard is a very nice way to experience south and north Komodo. It's a wonderful place to dive and each year the fish and reefs are recovering.

Indonesia in December, go east towards Raja Ampat. Winds and rain even affect Alor in December.

Great idea here by high desert!

Great points. Unfortunately, the best time for us to get away for any length of time is in December. Knowing that the weather is not ideal, we have to deal with it. Right now I am leaning to do 10 days Bunaken/Bangka/Lembeh and 5 to 7 days Komodo (Better than NO days Komodo....right?). I got my outbound to Bali booked today, getting there on December 14.
Still, nobody chimed in with a push for Wakatobi....:confused:

Back
Top Bottom