Royal Caribbean passenger overboard - no one noticed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, fortunately someone on the next barge on the same path did. A Disney cruise ship picked him up 8 miles from the island and brought him in for treatment. And they got video...!!

Longer article: Disney crew rescues Royal Caribbean passenger

Well, there are many articles online under the misspelling of Punta Langsota.

Shorter one: Royal Caribbean Passenger Falls Overboard Oasis Of The Seas Rescued By Disney Cruise Line Ship
A passenger fell overboard from Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas on Thursday but was resuced by a Disney Cruise Line ship.

The man, identified as Frank Jade from the United States, fell overboard approximately 8 miles from Cozumel, Mexico.

The Disney Magic found the man after the ship followed the same path as Oasis of the Seas. The Disney Cruise Line ship lowered a rescue boat into the water and were able to pick him up. The crew took him on board and the Disney Magic docked at Punta Langsota so Jade could be transferred to a private clinic for medical care.

Frank Jade is said to be in stable condition without any serious injuries.

Looks like the crew of the Disney boat noticed....

Wow, talk about dumb luck!
That's what I was thinking. I was not so surprised that no one on the Oasis of the Seas noticed he was gone, but that someone on the Disney boat saw him in the water.

Lucky isn't the word. This is more common than most people think. A story that I remember was a teenage girl sneaking out of her cabin using her window to the cabin below (where her brand new bf was). It is believed she slipped and fell into the sea, never seen again... :(

Then there is the Canadian guy who's wife must have "slipped" and fell into the sea, and, never seen again. Her family was 10000% sure it was murder but no evidence, no charges (as far as I believe)

Lucky is definitely the word. He was extremely lucky to have been spotted.

And, most likely he wasn't unlucky to have fallen, but stupid.
Except for those people who are literally tossed off cruise ships, falling (often times "falling" aka jumping) seems to always involved a dumbass decision, often by very drunk people. You don't just fall off a cruise ship.

It is especially sad when those decisions are made by young people, such as the girl climbing from one balcony to the next; but it isn't bad luck, it was a bad choice.

Moral of the story: if you are going to drink heavily on a cruise ship, sit on the balconies, or stand on table tops on open decks in rough seas (well, I haven't heard of that one happening but it seems plausible) carry a personal locator beacon.

Last edited:
You don't just fall off a cruise ship.

That's what I was thinking.

I would have had to want to fall off any of the cruise ships I have been on.

I guess he's also lucky that the Disney boat passed close enough to him that someone saw him him but not so close that they ran him over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom