What kind of sewing machine for webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Juki "Mechanical Semi-Professional" machine that I used to sew a couple of harnesses and various other webbed accessories and while I appreciate the ability to do it DIY, it was a bite of a hassle. As mrfixitchapman said, you have to set the machine up specifically for the webbing (thread tension is a real PITA, heavy duty needle, specialty thread) unless you only use it for web the machine will have to be readjust with each use. I love the idea of the Speedy Stitcher and plan to order one to try.

Besides the V92 thread that I ordered online, I also had very good results with the easily found Coats Outdoor thread.

If if you give us a better idea of your needs it might help.

Edit, I see you posted while I typed. The machine in the photo looks like an industrial grade computerized machine? High dollar.

Is this person stuff or are you planning commercial use?

Look into the video about the harness stitching. Seriously, you can do a small job like this and make it look good and last a long time. For the ideas you show I would just use a needle and heavy duty thread and follow the instructions for the 2-needle harness stitch. Draw each stitch up to the desired tension and tie off at the end.

DC

Looking only to do small things like attaching quick-release buckles, rings, etc.

I've been using the gliders and they're good for some things I've done but work for a few other things I want to try.

This is the sort of stuff I'd like to be able to do.

View attachment 200889 View attachment 200890 View attachment 200891

I've made and repaired similar things (crotch strap, knife sheath, BC belt loops) with a sewing awl like the one MR. Fixit linked in post number 3. It handles stiff webbing fairly easily and once you get the hang of it, the work goes quicker than you'd expect.

I purchased mine from McMaster Carr. It comes with a good length of waxed string and a selection of needles. (order a few extra straight needles.)

McMaster-Carr

Edit, I see you posted while I typed. The machine in the photo looks like an industrial grade computerized machine? High dollar.

Is this person stuff or are you planning commercial use?

Personal use.
The one picture was just to illustrate the type of sewing/stitching I'd like to be able to do... not the type of machine I'm willing to shell out money for.[

QUOTE=NetDoc;7309868]I bought a Singer Heavy Duty machine last year. I killed it trying to sew webbing.[/QUOTE]

Yikes

The Juki runs about 700 dollars new but I would look for a refurbished model. Avoid any of the newer home machines, even marketed as Heavy Duty. As NetDoc found out, they really aren't. It's just a marketing gimmick.

Any of the older models that are more metal then plastic should do if infrequently used. I don't know how common they are but if you could find an refurbished industrial machine.

Industrial Sewing Machines : Commercial Sewing Machine : SewingMachinesPlus.com

Just make sure it has the features you need.

But seriously, for a few personal items, just buy it or try mrfixitchapman's suggestions.

If you ask the same question on www.hammockforums.com you will likely get a ton of advice. It has whole sections devoted to "thread injectors" because a lot of those guys make their own hammock gear.

I have an old Thompson walking foot machine.
It is the design that became Sailrite's current design after they absorbed the company.

It is the claim of the manufacturer that it will sew what ever you can fit under the foot.
I have seen this machine sew 3 thick layers of leather together, and it didn't even slow it down.
It is important to keep your fingers and hands well clear of its path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom