Splash... No fins :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly to Keys for a few days of diving. Getting set up the night before and discover my integrated weight pockets for my Aeris BCD are back in Raleigh, NC in my weight bag. Run over to the dive store in Key Largo. No Aeris pockets but they have Oceanic and do appear identical, same clips and all so I buy two Oceanic pockets. On dive 1 I take a giant stride off the boat and look down to see two weight pockets drifting down. Water was only 20 ft or so so I swim to bottom, get pockets and reinsert. Finish dive holding onto pockets. Turns out the Oceanic had an inch or two longer strap attached to the buckle which gave the weights too much play for a giant stride from any height.

Jerry rigged a way to shorten straps, kept to shallow dives the rest of the time, and held on to weights on entry.

Fly to Keys for a few days of diving. Getting set up the night before and discover my integrated weight pockets for my Aeris BCD are back in Raleigh, NC in my weight bag. Run over to the dive store in Key Largo. No Aeris pockets but they have Oceanic and do appear identical, same clips and all so I buy two Oceanic pockets. On dive 1 I take a giant stride off the boat and look down to see two weight pockets drifting down. Water was only 20 ft or so so I swim to bottom, get pockets and reinsert. Finish dive holding onto pockets. Turns out the Oceanic had an inch or two longer strap attached to the buckle which gave the weights too much play for a giant stride from any height

Jerry rigged a way to shorten straps, kept to shallow dives the rest of the time, and held on to weights on entry.

I forgot my weight pockets at home on one boat trip in SE FL, I wore a weight belt for the day, no harm done, reminded me of the old days

I wore a weight belt for the day, no harm done, reminded me of the old days
My waist and hips are about the same size. I can, and have, dove weight belts but dislike then.

I may or may not have forgotten a few things over the years
03.gif
like hooking up the drysuit inflator prior to splashing on a deep wreck

I think dry suit hose is the most common error found in our head-to-toe gear checks, and after that, failure to turn the gas on . . .

I think dry suit hose is the most common error found in our head-to-toe gear checks, and after that, failure to turn the gas on . . .

OH yeah....I've started a few cave dives without my DS inflator plugged in. It reinforced my full-and-proper head-to-toe gear checks, and reinforced dressing and undressing in the correct order.

It's actually amazing how many divers forget to turn their tanks on. I was watching on these boats recently, and the good crew literally walk up and down the gearing up divers very subtly and check each and every tank valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may or may not have forgotten a few things over the years
03.gif
like hooking up the drysuit inflator prior to splashing on a deep wreck

The only time I've done it is in a hurry...I was turning a little green topside and would have been willing to free dive the wreck if it meant getting off the boat. In hindsight, it didn't feel any better getting shrink wrapped.

Except I've had a couple jerks turn my gas OFF thinking they knew better.....

Yeah I had that happen to me too and AFTER I told the guy my tank was on! He managed to move in behind me and turn it off with a quarter turn on:letsparty: I let the crew know clearly to keep hands off my gear! IMHO it is adequate to ASK the diver if their air is turned on!

Except I've had a couple jerks turn my gas OFF thinking they knew better.....

The only time I ever had the valve actually turned off was by my instructor during OW pool work. And no, he wasn't testing me. Taught me very early on to always take a few breaths watching gauge just before splash.

Back
Top Bottom