Splash... No fins :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a great picture, and DEFINITELY not a flattering one. This was taken during my Cavern/Intro course, and I was so preoccupied with getting all of the other procedures right, and proving that my everything was great and proving that I was worthy of being there that I just forgot. Later on in the video, you see me look confused, look at my feet, my lightbulb goes off, and then I tech-breast-stroke out of the cavern zone, walk-of-shame up to the picnic table to get my fins, and then start the whole dive over again. I didn't really get much laxity from my instructor....but it was my first dive "with those fins" and I kept thinking how BADLY they sucked. I did a good helicopter turn in good trim with "those fins" though....so, coolio.

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 7.57.59 PM.jpg

Imagine being at a dive site that is a rather famous cave diving location. There are many of the most popular (and yes, famous) cave divers on site and they are preparing to do a big dive to take video for a TV special. You have to wait for one of them to finish an interview before you can proceed to the water and the divers apologize for making you wait. You get in the water and do your usual bubble checks and begin the descent and head for the cave opening. Now is the "DUH" moment when you realize that you have left your reels laying on the bench next to the other divers. Can you possibly imagine the complete and total feeling of embarrassment when you have to surface near the steps and ask one of them to please bring your reels to you?

I am not saying that I did this. It is just something that a "friend" told me about. :-(

Haven't forgotten my fins (yet) but on a charter I can be the diver that is fully geared sitting on the bench while my buddy unties my tank from the back rest.....more than once.......in a day.

Yup. I can recall one occasion when I did a back-roll entry and saw my fin-less feet going up in the air in front of me. Luckily the guys were able to toss me my fins as soon as I came back up. Weights are something I've forgotten a few times, especially since I don't really need them half the year.

I'm going to guess it's because they [think] are so cool, and that's their way of demonstrating impatience with the photographer? Love it!

Aaah! Got the bubbles but not the fin part. Little slow some (most) days.

On dive 2 I noted the viz had decreased. Got back with the crew laughing at me. I had grabbed the wrong yellow mask for dive 2 leaving my prescription one on the boat.

On dive 2 I noted the viz had decreased. Got back with the crew laughing at me. I had grabbed the wrong yellow mask for dive 2 leaving my prescription one on the boat.

I have a worse one. Got to Lauderdale-By-The-Sea for a snorkel one day, started gearing up, went to rinse my mask (which is not prescription) ... then realized I was wearing my glasses instead of my contacts, which I had not brought with me. For reference, my uncorrected focal range is about two inches in front of my nose and my glasses have been compared to the tuna tank at Monterey Bay Aquarium. I decided "f*** it" and went in the water near-blind. Amazingly enough I could still get some basic IDs on fish, although that was because I could recognize which part of the colored blur was being used for swimming.

My most embarrassing dive moment? I was diving with a buddy who is just a bit impatient. I wasn't getting ready fast enough so he said he would wait for me at the anchor line. I rushed gearing up and backrolled into the water without my weightbelt. My buddy was not pleased. I climbed back aboard the boat, took off my gear and put on my weightbelt. I then made a second backroll, but forgot my fins. D-oh!

My kid left a fin at home.. I said we ARE going diving..

http://youtu.be/zWa7gm1tFFk?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ

[video=youtube_share;zWa7gm1tFFk]http://youtu.be/zWa7gm1tFFk?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Anyone else concerned that so many of these stories happen in Florida? It's like the Hanging Chad of diving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone else concerned that so many of these stories happen in Florida? It's like the Hanging Chad of diving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We get rid of Florida, Southern Calif, TX, NM and Arizona (and parts of NY) and we would have a GREAT country!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom