Diver missing on Vandenberg - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Coast Guard searching for missing diver south of Key West | The Miami Herald
Coast Guard search-and-rescue crews are looking for a diver who went missing Saturday afternoon.
Jim Bakazan, 50, went missing five nautical miles off the coast of Key West while diving in the wreck of the USS Vandenberg, a transport and missile-tracking ship used by the United States Navy in World War II. The ship was retired in 1983, and in May 2009, the ship was sunk. It is now an artificial reef dive.
Bakazan was wearing a black wetsuit.
Coast Guard Sector Key West got a report from a motorboat that the man went missing.
A Monroe County Sheriff's Office dive team and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are helping search for the diver.

Here is an update
Marine search-and-rescue crews are searching for a diver missing five nautical miles south of Key West. Still missing Sunday morning is Jim Bakazan, who the U.S. Coast Guard says is 50 but the Monroe County Sheriff's Office says is 53. The Coast Guard didn't say where he's from.

Watch standers at Coast Guard Sector Key West received the report from crew on the vessel Dream after Bakazan went missing Saturday afternoon while diving on the wreck of the USS Vandenberg, a former military transport ship scuttled as an artificial reef.

A Sheriff's Office dive team and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are helping with the search.
From: Diver missing off the 'Vandenberg' | News | KeysNet

It indicated the vessel was "Dream"... Since we are planning a trip in the next 2 weeks, this is of interest... Not sure, but would this be the vessel and/or operator?
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152217756323160.1073741827.46910868159&type=1
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.427279568159.225016.46910868159&type=3

Here is an update

From: Diver missing off the 'Vandenberg' | News | KeysNet

It indicated the vessel was "Dream"... Since we are planning a trip in the next 2 weeks, this is of interest... Not sure, but would this be the vessel and/or operator?
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152217756323160.1073741827.46910868159&type=1
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.427279568159.225016.46910868159&type=3

Yes, same boat. Are you considering assigning blame, because I know the boat and Captain? It's the boat I use when I go out on someone elses boat. They have high standards.

By no means am I blaming anyone and that is why I only posted links and did not post any names. My wife was concerned with the overall safety of the Vandenberg site, which is the wreck that I really want to dive next Friday when we are in Key West. Based on everyones reviews (your included), that shop is actually on my short list of operations to contact for our visit.

I was out there when it happened but with a different operator. I typically use the operator he used that day but they were full.

We tried to locate him on the second dive by searching last known area. The conditions were rough on the surface but pretty tame and clear below with a moderate current.

The Vandenberg is a big ship but it is one of the safer wrecks I've ever done due to its condition, size of interior and lack of silt on the inside. We don't know all of the details yet but any incident like this is a reminder to personally respect best practices for the type of dive and assess your physical condition prior to getting in the water.

Very sad to see any incident like this

Not sure of the validity of the source, but this was posted on another forum: Yes , a diver is missing after diving the Vandenberg , Saturday morning.

After signing and getting equipment , the diver left the LDS , Lost Reef Adventures and went to get breakfast . According to the adjacent Bait shop ; Key West bait and tackle;that breakfast was 2 Budweiser's.

The Gentlemen dove with a dive partner and a Guide , who saw him swim away to the surface behind the boat. Popped up 30 yards behind the boat and a Divemaster immediately entered to water to assist.

The diver dropped back down before the Divemaster reached him.

He was seen as he dropped to the deck breathing normally .That was last time he was seen. His Guide and dive buddy were on the way up the ascent line to surface while this was happening.

Coast Guard was called immediately and a search initiated.

Sea state 2-3 rollers, 80 ft visibility, and marginal current.
IT WAS NOT ROUGH , no whitecaps even. All crewmembers drug tested clean.

Sorry , didn't post to derail the thread, just wanted the facts out in the open before thethe rumor mill started. First accident for LDS after operating since 1986.

Whether the 2 beers was a factor is speculatio , but not a good choice before diving.

Sh*t happens , it only takes a second.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the validity of the source, ...snip
Sorry , didn't post to derail the thread , just wanted the facts out in the open before the rumor mill started.

Which facts would be in the open now?

Wookie. That was a copy paste from another forum. I don't know the guy who posted it

Wookie. That was a copy paste from another forum. I don't know the guy who posted it

I guess my point is, we don't know if he had 2 buds for breakfast, we really don't know anything at all, because very few eyewitnesses are talking except dpur. He didn't have much to say because he didn't see much. Your guy heard that the bait shop sold him 2 beers (maybe he stuffed them in his bag for the ride home, that boat doesn't typically carry beer) and now we have an impaired diver. I was at the dock 4 miles away and it was blowing 20 here, which typically doesn't mean rollers, but maybe it was better out there. I wasn't out there, so I can't comment.

I think that because you read it on a forum doesn't make it fact. I do believe, however, that you did actually read it.

Back
Top Bottom