Dominica in February and Boy 'o Boy do I have Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pembina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
First visit to Dominica and staying at Ft Young. We generally go to Bonaire but wanted to try something different but am now a little apprehensive about not knowing what to expect.
Here are my questions...

1. Shorty or full wetsuit?
2. Is there much shore diving at or near the hotel? (we will not have a rental)
3. Should we consider renting a vehicle?
4. Is Nitrox available at Ft Young?
5. I would like to see some of the interior. What type of clothing & shoes should I pack (not used to packing anything other than shorts, tshirts and sandals)
6. What other non diving excursions should we consider?
7. Any recommendations on dining?

That's all I can think of now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OK,

1 - depends on you. I dive dry everywhere. I found the temps warmer than Bonaire at around the same time of year so perhaps, for most people, a shorty will do.

2 - No, there are few shore sites and these are in very controlled places. Mostly boat dives on the island.
3 - I rented a vehicle and crashed it ten minutes fro the airport. The airport is around 15 miles away from Ft. Young and it will take 2 hours to drive it. Do not drive unless you want to go hiking when/where you want & by yourself. Any trips you arrange from the hotel will come with transportation. I would not rent a car again. The roads are treacherous.
4 - Nitrox is normally available at every dive operation.
5 - bring some light hiking boots for sure. A FA kit and light would also be helpful - we needed ours.

6 - DO NOT MISS the boiling lake tour. We chose Peter Green and I would HIGHLY recommend his tour. It's inexpensive and his knowledge/care is unbelievable. Also try to get to the Wavin Cirque, a waterfall that dumps into the ocean. The hike down (and up) to it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The other waterfalls are terrific hikes as well. In fact, I opted to cut out some diving in order to hike more.
7 - see me tripadvisor page for my recommendations here. I really enjoyed the day we went to Champagne beach for snorkeling, climbed the top of the mountain in Scotts Head, then ate at Chez Wen (fresh fish caught that day and great Margueritas). I wouldn't say the food is exceptional but good enough. There is a restaurant near the fort called Old Stone that is OK but a bit expensive.

I really enjoyed my time there and I hope you do as well. PM me if you need any other insights.

East Carib Dive, mid-island at Salisbury does some shore diving. There are a couple of excellent places to eat in this area, but you do need your own transportation. I've been going to Dominica regularly for about 15 years, and have rented a 4wd Suzuki every time with no problems at all, no accidents, nothing other than a frisson of fear at times. The roads are bad, quite narrow and twisting, with deep concrete drainage ditches in places. I once had to cross a narrow 5 foot chasm driving on two sturdy boards less than 12 inches wide, one for each tire, and some roads are covered with a couple of inches of water after a downpour.

This is a very mountainous island covered in rainforest. It is much wilder than any other Caribbean island I've been to, part of both its charm and its hazards. I'm very used to driving on the right on bad roads, having lived in the British Caribbean for months at a time when I was younger. I lived in Jamaica for a year, and owned a Toyota Starlet while there, driving everywhere imaginable in the Cockpits. I cannot imagine an island holiday without my own transport, but driving in places like Dominica is not for everyone. It is extremely demanding, but you can see incredibly beautiful things, whenever you please, go whever the road leads and your nerve permits.

Over the years and more than a dozen trips there I find myself doing more topside exploring than diving, as great as the diving there can be. Parrots, giant butterflys, brilliant lightening bugs the size of small birds, Boa Constrictors, ancient abandoned plantations deeply covered with 100 shades of green, and almost no tourists if you keep away from the cruise ship dock at Roseau.

A couple of years ago, when I passed 70, the rental people insisted on testing my driving ability, especially since I insist on a standard transmission. They wound up giving me a nice discount. Good people at Courtesy Car Rental.

I dive in skins and a 1mm wetsuit. I don't like shorty suits. Dominica is different in many ways. There are more boulders than coral heads, and the water gets deep very quickly, because the shoreline consists mainly of the sides of mountains that continue straight down into the sea.

East Carib Dive, mid-island at Salisbury does some shore diving. .

I saw this but didn't go. It's not Bonaire, for sure. I'd stay with a boat.

There are a couple of excellent places to eat in this area, but you do need your own transportation. I've been going to Dominica regularly for about 15 years, and have rented a 4wd Suzuki every time with no problems at all, no accidents, nothing other than a frisson of fear at times. The roads are bad, quite narrow and twisting, with deep concrete drainage ditches in places. I once had to cross a narrow 5 foot chasm driving on two sturdy boards less than 12 inches wide, one for each tire, and some roads are covered with a couple of inches of water after a downpour.

This is a very mountainous island covered in rainforest. It is much wilder than any other Caribbean island I've been to, part of both its charm and its hazards. I'm very used to driving on the right on bad roads, having lived in the British Caribbean for months at a time when I was younger. I lived in Jamaica for a year, and owned a Toyota Starlet while there, driving everywhere imaginable in the Cockpits. I cannot imagine an island holiday without my own transport, but driving in places like Dominica is not for everyone. It is extremely demanding, but you can see incredibly beautiful things, whenever you please, go whever the road leads and your nerve permits.

It depends on whether you are a "go it alone" type of person or not. There are a few restaurants within walking distance of your hotel and, as I said, there are excursions you can arrange where transport is supplied. I consider myself a careful driver but, as agilis said, the roads can be washed out, whole bridges can be down. Some of the roads are impassable for days leaving aside the regular hazard of driving there. If you feel the need to explore, you must get a car. If you are OK with arranged excursions, I'd opt to let someone else drive. btw - I ended up paying $300 for the car I crashed. You must put up a $1,000 deposit before you drive.

1. Shorty or full wetsuit?
Full – easier to get cool than get warm, protection against any stinging/sharp encounters, more sunburn protection.
2. Is there much shore diving at or near the hotel? (we will not have a rental)
Tough to find shore dives and rental gear. Here is a thread on this (may be dated)
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/greater-antilles/281653-unguided-shore-diving-illegal-dominica.html

3. Should we consider renting a vehicle?
We always rent a small 4x4 and go exploring. If you are cautious and take your time, it’s a great way to experience the island on your own time and schedule. If you’re a new or very nervous, you may want to stick with tours or hire a local taxi/guide.
4. Is Nitrox available at Ft Young? Sometimes they use Castle Comfort dive op - and they have nitrox.
5. I would like to see some of the interior. What type of clothing & shoes should I pack (not used to packing anything other than shorts, tshirts and sandals)
Light rain jacket, quick drying light sneakers (not sandals), wide brimmed cap or hat, LOTS of water.
6. What other non diving excursions should we consider?
Check out hike-able waterfalls and trails. You can hire guides. We liked Sari-Sari Falls, Middleham Falls, Screws Sulphur Springs, Fond St.Jean, Chaudiere Pool, the Drive-through Volcano, Scott’s Head, and Titou George.
7. Any recommendations on dining?
Not many choices and meals are expensive. Get an efficiency place and frequent the local grocery stores.

One thing not mentioned that we didn't get to do on our first trip there but is a definite on our next - the Carib Village.

1. We were there in early March last year and water temps were 80-82ºF. In-water was marginal for me without suit, but air temps and wind drove me to diving with a 3mm jumpsuit as there was no warming up between dives.

2. Divers from Ft. Young were on our boats every day (we stayed at Castle Comfort), but did not see any of them stick around for shore dives. While Castle Comfort hypes 24 hour diving on the house reef, you need to understand that it is a muck dive. I was in my element, but we were the only people staying at CC that did shore dives every day - and 2 on many. In fact, the only other divers we saw making shore dives were the DeLoaches and a few divers that were doing the sperm whale trips. It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. That said, we had many first-for-us sightings: Spoon-nose Eeel, Lesser Electric Eel, Goosehead Scorpionfish, Black Hamlet, Spiny Flounder, and Reef Scorpionfish - all off Castle Comfort.

We went in '09--& stayed further south @ Castle Comfort Lodge....GREAT diving there & further south(around the Soufriere area ie Witches Point---Scott's Head---Sea Mounts, etc etc).....I'd 'make them' do ALL diving there.........PLUS, save some energy for 1 PM & later---doing ALL the topside adventures.....You can literally go 18/6 & not take everything in on the island........ie, be sure & do the T Falls, T gorge, rain forests, boiling lake, hot sulphur springs---SCREWS-- etc etc etc...They filmed parts of Pirates of the Caribbean 1 & 2 there for a reason..

EDIT:.I wouldn't worry bout the food---everything 'else' will make up for any bad stuff you get.....:)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom