olympus tg-3 and underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Might be a silly question but if the underwater housing floods at 30m what are the chances of the camera surviving given its waterproof to 15m as surely the case would absorb some of the pressure or is this 'wishful' thinking?

My guess is the camera will survive. Most floods are a small leak from one of the buttons and the pressure will only slightly rise. Plus, u will see the water and could ascend.

That was my thoughts so taken the plunge and ordered one today as the camera looks a great bit of kit for the price and I like the thought of not having to worry too much about a flood costing£££££££.

Let me tell you about this and relieve some of your concerns!

Last year I took my Olympus TG-2 (TG-3s weren't out yet) to Cozumel without a housing. I was using it on the shallower dives to no more than 50' and was getting great photos. When not using the camera, I stuff it under the sleeve of my 3mm shorty. I guess I forgot that the next dive was to 80' or so and down we went. I started taking photos and the camera started giving me alerts that I was exceeding the maximum depth, but by then it was too late. I continued to take photos for the rest of the dive as the camera was functioning perfectly. When I got back on the boat I was still able to view the photos in the view finder. I examined the waterproof seals and nothing seemed wet so I continued diving with it.

Later that night at the hotel, the camera finally crapped out as I suppose some salt water seeped into a critical area. The SD card was fine and the photos turned out great. I got home, boxed up the camera and sent it to the Olympus repair center that literally said, "I flooded this damn thing, can you fix it?" Less than 7-days later they sent me a brand new camera.

I don't know if this answered your question but, I just felt like telling this story. I love Olympus.

After having dropped my TG1 and housing on the very first dive I took it on and watching it skip down four steps onto the dive deck of the LOB we were on, mine has leaked. Still works.

the camera survived when the casing flooded. SD card survived as well. noticed water in casing about 7 M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom