Bull sharks in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PlayaCountryBoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Playa del Carmen, Mexico-Meso American Reef
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have been doing the bull shark dive since the last week of November. The group seems a little smaller than last year. This year we are seeing around 8-10 bull sharks each dive. Even though the numbers are less, the dive is still amazing...truly one of the best dives I have ever made and do make. Here is a little video of what we have been seeing. Enjoy!

Last edited:
My husband and I are going to Playa soon and want to do this dive. We are experienced divers both having 100+ dives each....A couple of questions for you:
1.) What dive shop would you recommend?
2.) Any advice for us regarding tranportation to and from shop, what other dives would you recommend?
3.) Can you take pictures during the dive, or do you have to buy their video?

Thanks in advance

I just did the bullshark dive with the dive op at our resort, Scuba Libre. The sharks showed up, that was impressive. The dive op was so-so at best. The crew was very friendly and accommodating. The boat had no platform and was a bit hard to get on and off. The dive profile was pushing NDLs, basically a square profile to 79ft for 36 minutes, wich put me within a minute of deco on one computer and three minutes on the other. There was no up line, so if a diver wasn't solid on the blue-water safety stop, this could become a problem. And then only a 30 minute surface interval to the second, much shallower dive. Nitrox was not offered, but since I didn't know the profile in advance, I didn't explicitly ask for it, either.

Thanks kafkaland we will stay away from that shop....we are considering The Blue Dream as they have a Bull Shark Specialty Course and I think that that might be good for us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom