Rigging a tank for sidemount!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no reason to, tanks only weigh 50lbs max, paracord is strong enough on its own. the bottom rigging shouldn't take a whole lot of weight normally anyway, even if you're walking around on land

Can anyone share some photos of your tanks with your setups so I can get some ideas?

Peter

Can anyone share some photos of your tanks with your setups so I can get some ideas?

Peter
I do not have a good current picture, but this is an old setup I used:
IMG_1037.jpg

Single tank setup (and because I was flamed once already because of this pic: the octopus is behind the tank!):
Tank_Setup_Single.jpg

This promotional image shows the way it is done perfectly:

IMG_0619.jpg

And there is always Steve Martins pages for inspiration: Sidemount Equipment (tips and tricks) - Steve Martin Sidemount Diving - Course Director PADI TecRec Side Mount Scuba Diving

This might help also.....

[video=youtube;6n5RMSLdwI8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5RMSLdwI8[/video]

I believe however that Kakuk's way of rigging shown in that video (if he still uses it), might not be the most commonly used. It's fairly different from the "usual" one.

If memory serves Mr Kakuk now uses Long hose right, short hose left after a Razor instructor course, though don't quote me...

he does still use it, though he is diving his Razor more often now and as such is running the Razor style hose routing.

Valves up, long hose on the right, stubby inflator hoses, first stages flat, SPG's down.

FWIW you need to decide if you want your SPG's up like lollipops, or down along the tanks. If you run them along the tanks, the first stages have to be up otherwise the SPG's hang down and drag, if you run them like lollipops the first stages have to be down otherwise the SPG's will be bend funny and won't stick up in the right place.

http://www.golemgear.com/images/document/Armadillomanual.pdf
If you look there, it shows the manual for the Armadillo, going back to 2004. Page 10 has the cam band rigging used by most divers. Option A is typical, Razor style divers will use bungee and as short of a line as possible. Most American divers use braided nylon line or gold line and they are a bit longer. Edd style divers put their cam bands much lower with quite long leads. I run mine more similar to the Razor style and have the bands very high up on the tanks, but it is personal preference and depends on how your trim works out. They also have good ideas on regulator routing and other general setup options. Good reference to have downloaded

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom