Atomic mask's question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am using Oceanic Shadow mask. In overall I am happy with it but I would like to buy new mask and will keep Shadow as spare. I am interested in Atomic Venom and Frameless. I am questioning which one has lower volume and better field of view?

thank you,

I have a subframe (very close to venom) and frameless. I prefer frameless...low volume, and for me a better field of view.

I have tried the venom and the Frameless.

I don't know how big your head is, but it is something to think about when looking at the atomic frameless. I have a big head, I wear 7-3/4 hats and a 17.5 collar and the frameless is much too small for my face. The venom is much larger and fits fine, but I don't think it is worth the $200 price tag and it is so bulky it almost has to be used as the primary mask and can't be the backup. The venom is supposed to have the best field of view, but I don't know, it is hard to tell when it is a degree here or there.

If it was me, I would look for something that a) fit my face and b) wouldn't break the bank. I have tried the shadow before and it was fine. I currently dive a Hollis M1 I picked up used for $50 and an XS Brute which I picked up new for $45, both masks are low volume and have good vision.

I would definitely try an atomic before making the purchase, but since it is the same price and glass as the M1 you can't really go wrong with either an M1, Atomic frameless, or another Shadow.

I have both the frameless and the venom, and the venom is significantly higher in volume. It also doesn't seal to my face quite as well as the frameless, so it gets stuffed into a pocket as my backup mask.

If AA would make an all black frameless--none of their stupid looking two-tone color scheme--with the ARC lens...they could probably charge $300 for it and I'd buy two. The venom...I'll sell sooner or later. If you want a nice black/grey venom, feel free to PM me a reasonable offer :wink:

I love my Atomic Frameless.

N

I love my Atomic Frameless.

N

My Atomic Frameless is one of two pieces of gear I own that if you told me I could no longer use it... I might consider giving up diving.

As to fit, be sure to try BOTH sizes of the frameless if the first doesn't fit.

Atomic Frameless is the only mask in the world that I have tried and does not fit my face. Only!

Have you considered plastic surgery ? :)

Yes, I agree, you should consider surgery.

N

Yes, I agree, you should consider surgery.

N

So that I could be one of the ugly people? No thanks. Id rather wear my Hog Razorback for 25 USD and keep my good looks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom