Who to Dive with in Byron Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps head out a bit farther and look at Wooli instead. Woolidive head out to the North Solitary Island and I really enjoyed diving with them back in September. Not crowded and you might even get some home baked banana cake during the surface interval...

HI Berger - spent the last 15 years diving the North Solitaries, if you can get out it is a fantastic dive site. If you take into account the lack of divers in the water it is to my mind the best dive site in NSW. Julian Rocks would take it, but it's like Pitt Street out there.

I dunno. We dove with them for three days, and we were told from the beginning that that was the limit, and it was enforced. It was nine years ago, though, and the place may not even be under the same management. I'd love to know that it is no longer the case, because I thought the diving was fabulous and I'd like to go back -- but nowadays a 45 minute dive limit would drive me nuts.

New management now and very relaxed, excellent operation. I know who you likely experienced and he is long gone.

Cheers
Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recommend Blue Bay divers out of Brunswick Heads instead of the Byron Bay outfits for Julian Rocks. They are very professional, and they stay out at the rock for the surface interval vs the byron outfits going back to the shop to change tanks etc. Saves heaps of time and you get a great feed :)

Also, if you're at a loose end on the Gold Coast there is some nice diving off Tweed and at Cook Island; all close to shore and really good viz at the moment.

Kirra Dive are doing extra mid week trips at the moment because it's so nice.

Thanks to all of you. Had a dive with Sundive, I have not dived with them in 15 years. Very busy but a pretty good operation. I got to take my time with testing my camera (lots of adjustments to make). There was woman who kept an eye on me and she was working with them I think? Not a great dive viz poor but she did point out a spanish dancer which was in a colour I have not seen before.

P1050034-sm.jpg

I saw my first Spanish dancer there, too! What was the viz? They were apologizing for it when we were there. It was about 40 feet. We thought we had died and gone to viz heaven . . .

I have just come back from a dive on Julian Rocks.....25m viz and 27 deg C water temp, more Mantas, Eagle Rays, Spotted Rays, Smooth Rays, turtles and Leopards Sharks than I could hope to count. Including one jet black Manta which was very cool and a pod of dolphins on the surface to finish off. Dived with Sundive who were very cruisy about bottom time and had lots of boats running. Awesome.

Cheers
Larry

I have just come back from a dive on Julian Rocks.....25m viz and 27 deg C water temp, more Mantas, Eagle Rays, Spotted Rays, Smooth Rays, turtles and Leopards Sharks than I could hope to count. Including one jet black Manta which was very cool and a pod of dolphins on the surface to finish off. Dived with Sundive who were very cruisy about bottom time and had lots of boats running. Awesome.

Cheers
Larry

Bugger! - I was in last Monday 6th and the viz was about 4m, there was a fair bit of movement underwater which made testing the camera - well testing, water temp was good.

Larry you really know how to hurt a guy.

Back
Top Bottom