Where to buy foreign beer in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

going2aussie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone know where one can find the best beer selection in Roatan? I really didn't take to the local stuff last time. We'll have a driver take us for supplies when we get there. I'm looking for some Guinness, a pilsner, coors light, an ipa, etc. The grocery store had all of the locals plus miller lite, heineken, and a few other well marketed beer that I didn't like. It seems the import shop sells a bigger variety, but they don't seem to sell to the general public.

What grocery store? If anywhere I'd say the Hiper Mega, Eldons or Plaza Mar would have it.

Eldon’s Sun Grocery Store, Plaza Mar and Hiper Mega are the largest and most notable grocery stores on the island, all well supplied with a variety of options, all accommodating your taste and budget.

Their locations are spread around the island making them accessible for most of the island’s population. Plaza Mar is located in Coxen Hole near the airport, and just below it is the new Eldon’s Sun Grocery. In French Harbour we find ourselves with Hiper Mega located at Mall Mega Plaza and 3-4 minutes away, near the main entrance of French Harbour, is located Eldon’s Sun Grocery Store where you can encounter the best grocery shopping experience the island offers.

http://www.roatanisland.net/grocery.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDhgFTAsJcA - they mention - but don't show the beer selection.

What grocery store? If anywhere I'd say the Hiper Mega, Eldons or Plaza Mar would have it.

Popular Grocery Stores on Roatan Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDhgFTAsJcA - they mention - but don't show the beer selection.

We went to Eldon's which was known for having the biggest selection of everything. The beer selection wasn't so great. I'm trying to do some research in advance to make sure I have what I want. I get grumpy when either the music sucks or the beer sucks.

Bulk Gourmet is the best best place.. Keep in mind, their selection is always in flux due to the corrupt Honduran Customs holding their shipments hostage (Wait months and months while the product goes bad or pay $$$$$)... Bulk Gourmet is located between Coxen Hole and Barefoot Resort (closer to Barefoot close to the hardware store), on the same side of the road.. Bulk Gourmet is also a good place to find other imported hard to find items.. I would stop by there weekly to see the latest and greatest things they got in.. {They get REALLY good meat there!!!)

The Bulk Gourmet - Roatan's Premier Food Importer

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...iews-The_Bulk_Gourmet-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

You won't find anything special at Eldons, Plaza Mar or Mega.. Trust me I went looking several times a week for months.. You might find Guiness if you're lucky... But I bought most of the $2 PER cans of Guniness Draught while I was there.. They would show up for a couple of weeks and then disappear. I think most of the bars would buy them up pretty quickly when they showed up. Buy them for a little less than $2 per can and then sell them for $3-$4 per can..

Enjoy!

Bulk Gourmet is the best best place..
Enjoy!

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. In terms of the meat, do they just sell by the case? I'm happy to buy, say, a full tenderloin, but I can't see us eating a case in a week.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. In terms of the meat, do they just sell by the case? I'm happy to buy, say, a full tenderloin, but I can't see us eating a case in a week.

No, it's all frozen, but I seem to remember that you can buy it in small vacuumed packed packages of a few steaks at a time.. Definitely not by the case or box... Angus Beef!!

They always have lots of beef.. Call ahead of time to see if they have any decent beer in stock.. Like I said it seems to come and go, depending on how bad Customs needs money...

Also, for by the glass, if you like German beer, check out Por Que No in West End.. A really nice German couple owns the restaurant and sells bottles of German beer..

Sometimes I would find by the glass, Guinness, and other surprises at Roatan Oasis, Buena Vida (mainly Guinness), and Herby's Sports Bar (French Harbor)... Herby's is the most modern, air conditioned bar with many, many flat screen TV's on the island..

... I'm looking for some Guinness, a pilsner, coors light, an ipa, etc. The grocery store had all of the locals plus miller lite, heineken, and a few other well marketed beer that I didn't like. It seems the import shop sells a bigger variety, but they don't seem to sell to the general public.

I was at Eldon's supermarket on Dec 22 and thought I saw Guinness in bottles and Coors Light. The bottle Guinness is not uncommon at restaurants. You can get Heineken at Blue Marlin Restaurant/Bar in West End now.

This is funny. I always look forward to cold Salva Vidas and Port Royals. I don't expect 1st world beers in a 2nd/3rd world country

If you ever go there for months at a time and you're a Porter or Stout drinker, you will be thrilled when you find something like a Guinness!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom