Who to Dive with in Byron Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi Guys - I am driving to the gold coast next week and will grab a one off morning dive in Byron Bay. I have dived there before several times but not too often in the last 10 years.

Had a crowded experience last time I dived there, ended up holding hands with a 20 year old Swedish girl who was panicking (If I was 30 years younger this might have been a highlight) but I was up to my ears in some excellent macro stuff at the time.

Looking for a reliable dive operator who will let me go sit on the anchor, check out my new camera, have a swim around and get back on the boat. I was last in the water in April this year so I want a nice steady dive without a gaggle of untrained backpackers. The camera testing and getting used to it is critical as I am off to Bali end of January for some serious photography:crafty:.

Sundive are good in my experience. I've dived with them several times though not in past year. I guess it's luck of the draw re backpackers though, it is a touristy place.

+1 for Sundive. Giac runs a very good outfit. They are happy to let you do your own stuff once they know your skills and competence. However, their guides are very good and a number of them (eg Mark Grey) great photographers in their own right and happy to show you the best spots. I'll be there myself at the end of the second week of Jan.

Enjoy
Cheers
Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We dove with Sundive years ago, and they were extremely strict about a maximum 45 minute dive time. Have they changed that?

I dunno. We dove with them for three days, and we were told from the beginning that that was the limit, and it was enforced. It was nine years ago, though, and the place may not even be under the same management. I'd love to know that it is no longer the case, because I thought the diving was fabulous and I'd like to go back -- but nowadays a 45 minute dive limit would drive me nuts.

TS&M + Wobbe - 45 mins would not worry me as I mainly want to check out the camera. Normally it would get to me as it is not that deep on Julian Rocks and plenty to see.

Thanks all - I will phone Sundive today and book in for the 5th.

regards

Sundive on a busy day allowed me to go for as long as my air allowed! Happily let the others in the group surface and the DM continued with me for the extra 10-15 mins bottom time ��

I visited Byron Bay for a few days in late June - early July. We were allowed to dive as long as we had adequate gas without time restrictions. Julian Rocks is a wonderful dive site. After the first dive, our guide left us alone.

Perhaps head out a bit farther and look at Wooli instead. Woolidive head out to the North Solitary Island and I really enjoyed diving with them back in September. Not crowded and you might even get some home baked banana cake during the surface interval...

Back
Top Bottom