Critters Of Sulawesi - GoPro Macro Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The video dont go far with wideangle shots, in my opion it is just a better shot with lights and redfilter. I would choose the double macro, its just slightly more and the results are even better and worth it. One light for macro is ok as long as you dont use it from the side but from the front/above.

Great shots, very interesting nudibranches. Do you use a tripod for these shots?

Red filter even with the heavy blue spectrum of the video lights? In your estimation would the color cast still be there if you were not using the red filter?

If starting out with a single video light do you think the contrast or shadows would be far too distracting?

As long as it is a LED light, you can use with the filter. Make sure the beam is wide enough to cover the whole frame (or most of it), otherwise, the lit up area will be reddish.

For Fiji next spring, I just got this Joby Gorilla pod with ball head, Backscatter uses this model for their super steady macromate work.

10" arms and can support a lot of weight.

Joby GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Mini-Tripod with Ball JB01130

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2014 at 09:14 AM ----------

curious on your use of the SRP tray, as with those awesome grippy handles laying on the sand, did you "reverse mount" the gopro mounted on the underside of the SRP tray like this?

srp-tray-as-duopod.jpg

I've never tried that yet with my SRP tray but I want to try setting it up that way for underwater timelapse, or just leaving the camera outside a shy critters hole for a while as you swim away.

So between the Joby arms, and a layed down SRP tray, it should work great for using my 2 gopros with Macromate.

Last edited:
Super video..very very sharp. Can you explain the 2 Go pros..is this 3d ? Maybe a photo of your set up ? Really amazing results.

Agree with Lamar ^. Absolutely gorgeous video mate. I'd love to see photo of your rig. Were you rocking a macro lens on each go pro, or were you stacking 2 of them for the really close up shots? And I think you mentioned you shot this in the medium POV?

sola3.jpgsola5.jpg

Here's a follow up with my new Jobe Gorilla arm DSLR Tripod setup. I like how using the SRP tray with the rearward handles, mounted on the gimbal head, it's balanced over the pod arms with legs and twin 2000 lumen SOLAs will be pulled back.

The backscatter twin grip will be used without the Gimbal head on the tripod for a lower profile as needed.

this tripod will be fun to play with for underwater time lapse. one of my goals.

rocky steady using Backscatter's Macro Mate for tiny stuff too.

Serious, this is a dream rig I've put together. SRP's tray is very very versatile.

But not to tangent this awesome thread;

It's not the equipment, it's the person behind it that gets the shot.

once again, excellent video of yours! you set the bar high for the rest of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom