I wanna do it all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I am guessing that means going Tech, but I don't dive enough.

...When I say "Deep", I mean well over 200 feet. Cave, I mean, those really long caves.

I do not have the money available to replace my current gear. So, GUE is not where I will be at.

This is really a recipe for disaster. There is no shortcut, no cheap way, and no substitution for proper training and experience. GUE is not the only option (but it is a good one), but all of the prudent options include proper training, equipment and experience.

I do not have the money available to replace my current gear. So, GUE is not where I will be at.

Then neither deep nor cave is for you - regardless of whether you're soloing such dives or going GUE, you will need thousands of dollars worth of new/additional gear and training for such dives. To say nothing of gas costs.

Cutting corners can kill you incredibly quickly and without much forewarning, and even with the right gear dives at this level are unforgiving in the extreme. Case in point: I had some kind of a problem during this morning's CCR dive at 240' (given what happened, I suspect a scrubber issue), and while I had all the physical and mental equipment necessary to see the surface alive and unbent, it was by no means a walk in the :censored:ing park. Nickel rocketry deep diving - to say nothing of caves - will be just fine until it isn't, at which point you will have a terrible clarity of feeling you probably aren't going home. Don't go forward with that mentality, it won't end well.

Everything below 130 feet = Tec diving. Doesn't matter what agency, whether it be GUE, PADI, IANTD or TDI.

To do those classes, they require gear configurations, which are usually/always based on DIR principals.

So if you have regular recreational diver gear, that means replacing your BC with a Back Plate and Wing, changing your regulator hoses to match DIR confgurations, and getting redundant gear.

all of which cost time and money. No shortcuts, at the risk of your life.

Let's start here: what gear DO you have? There's a reasonable chance that at least some of it will be workable for tech diving.

Let's start here: what gear DO you have? There's a reasonable chance that at least some of it will be workable for tech diving.

The only thing that might work are my steel 120s, but they have had air only in them.

Everything else is low to midgrade stuff.

Checks forum… Advanced. Good.

I am incredibly bored of 'I wanna do it all… But I have no intention of putting in the effort to be ready for it.' What the **** is wrong with people these days? Why do I endure a steady stream of people who, 20 dives in, have decided they're bored of reef dives and want to do a cave/a wreck penetration/a deep shark dive, but have no interest in learning to do dangerous things properly? Are we really so jaded as a society that we think we can have anything we want without there ever being a price?

If you want to do 'big dives', put in the hard yards getting the training and experience and equipment to do them properly. Or, don't do them. Those are your sensible choices.

Or, as has been suggested above, you can wing it on the cheap because you're too hubris-filled to do it properly, in which case you'll most likely become a fatality report.

Bah.

Checks forum… Advanced. Good.

I am incredibly bored of 'I wanna do it all… But I have no intention of putting in the effort to be ready for it.' What the **** is wrong with people these days? Why do I endure a steady stream of people who, 20 dives in, have decided they're bored of reef dives and want to do a cave/a wreck penetration/a deep shark dive, but have no interest in learning to do dangerous things properly? Are we really so jaded as a society that we think we can have anything we want without there ever being a price?

If you want to do 'big dives', put in the hard yards getting the training and experience and equipment to do them properly. Or, don't do them. Those are your sensible choices.

Or, as has been suggested above, you can wing it on the cheap because you're too hubris-filled to do it properly, in which case you'll most likely become a fatality report.

Bah.

Realistically, I would likely do it in about 10 years.

By then, I would be able to afford the gear.

I have always been the person who wants to do more than I am doing now. I want to do it safe. I am trying to see if there is a way to do those things incrementally. I do not plan to go to the deepest cave or to the deepest part of the ocean, yet.

There are things that I want to see at 200-150' range. There are shorter caves that I want to see inside of.

I would rather learn and do incrementally that having to completely re-equip and start from scratch.

Can it be done incrementally?

The only thing that might work are my steel 120s, but they have had air only in them.

Everything else is low to midgrade stuff.

Doesnt have to be top end stuff.

If you provide some specifics I might be able to help you sort out what's applicable and what's not.

Doesnt have to be top end stuff.

If you provide some specifics I might be able to help you sort out what's applicable and what's not.

Currently it is buried in a storage unit till spring. Sorry, but I do not have a list.

If money is even remotely a limiting factor....stay away from any sort of tech diving. It is not a poor mans sport, although you may become poor while participating in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom