Petrel vs. ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, but you didn't mention how Shearwater has kept all of their promises, released on time, has great support and is proven. Or the Rec mode on the Petrel. Or the CC mode. Or the fact that it doesn't rely on proprietary adapters to charge or download info to/from. All of those are clearly wins for XDeep. Plus, y'know, XDeep black is a "mid-range" computer not meant to compete against the "high-end" Petrel.

Well, I wasn't sure, but it seemed like the reason our xDeep salesman has two Petrels on his JJ is because the XDeep can't calculate deco, and oxygen exposure for closed circuit. Interestingly, the Petrel2 is able to do all these things.

Gentleman it would be a piece of cake adding fixed O2 calc. etc but look at everything else from xDeep, they don't copy ... they invent and rebreather controlling unit is definitely in mind but our way ...

Exhibit A in why the LDS model has become such a train-wreck: insufferably ham-handed bull:censored: artists masquerading as salesmen.

and there we go again ... haters will be haters no matter what. Have a nice day gentleman and wonderful holidays !

You make dubious claims and then call us "haters"? If you have two Petrels, then essentially you are knowningly making false claims with the intent to profit from sales. People read threads like these to get pre-purchase advice and gain insight from divers who are using the product. Perhaps you might considering adjusting your sales pitch into something more credible? Let's review together;

1) You claim the xDeep has more features.
2) You claim Shearwater doesn't provide downloads and free feature updates.
3) You claim the xDeep is less expensive.

As a Petrel integrated CCR owner, you know first-hand all those claims are patently false.

You make dubious claims and then call us "haters"? If you have two Petrels, then essentially you are knowningly making false claims with the intent to profit from sales. People read threads like these to get pre-purchase advice and gain insight from divers who are using the product. Perhaps you might considering adjusting your sales pitch into something more credible? Let's review together;

1) You claim the xDeep has more features.
2) You claim Shearwater doesn't provide downloads and free feature updates.
3) You claim the xDeep is less expensive.

As a Petrel integrated CCR owner, you know first-hand all those claims are patently false.

Not to fan the flames, but since you're talking about giving accurate info for people looking for pre-purchase info...

The OP was specifically about Rec diving. And the xDeep IS less expensive if you're just a Rec diver looking for Nitrox support, isn't it? Like $629 versus $850 for a Petrel?

"Necessary"? You could dive with no computer at all.

Haha... true. Save yourself at least a couple hundred bucks and dive tables.

Some computers with alarms and lock-outs and ultra-conservative algorithms are probably better suited for the 1-5 dive a year vacation diver that more than likely forgets just enough to get hurt or dead. The Petrel will give an inexperienced diver enough rope to hang himself.

AI (in theory, since I've never thrown down the cash to get it) is nice as a back-up in case your brass & glass SPG fails. But the AI is probably more likely to fail first (just maybe not at the same time).

Digital compass... again, a nice back-up if you either lose, drop, break, or forget your "real" compass. In that case it's nice to know it's there as long as you didn't forget your computer.
I would have figured for the minimalist crowd a digital compass would mean one less thing you have dangling from your BC. That's the reason I would like to have one.

I'm pretty sure most if not all "recreational" computers have something to keep you from getting bent if you go into deco. It helps to know when it's telling you this and what to do when it is.

I think computers like the Zoop are more complicated to use than a Petrel. I have a D4i and I think that's even easier to figure out than the Zoop. I think the Zoop also automatically defaults back to air after a dive or after it's been shut off. I find that pretty irritating, but I guess someone somewhere likes it.
Given the release of the Petrel 2, you might be able to score an old Petrel for a good price... if you can appreciate what you're getting for the price and at some point realize you may have jumped the gun on the whole "I'll never do...".

While I don't have any personal experience with it, my opinion is the next option down from a Petrel for what you plan on doing is the xDeep Black w/ the EANx upgrade. That version is about $200-ish less than a Petrel but gives you what you appear to be asking for.

AI is not necessary. An analog compass works just fine. So why a Petrel?
Support from Shearwater is second to none.
Did I say the way they support their product and provide service is one of the best of any company in the industry and out? If not well, they do.

Agreed on everything but "Oh by the way, if you're thinking about buying a Petrel, wait another month and you'll also get a digital compass". Or at least tease to "we're releasing a new computer with a couple new features"... like an iPhone. Nobody knows for sure but you know there will be improvements.
I've heard they didn't even share that little tidbit with some of the dealers before ordering. Take that for what it's worth. Maybe that's not an issue with service/support as much as marketing.

In hindsight, I should have seen it coming because the NERD came out and DEMA was right around the corner so they had to hold something back for that. The one feature that stood out in the NERD was the compass... the logical step would have been that it was going to be seen in a wrist top. Again, hindsight it adds up.

I really like my Petrel. I have limited experience with their service/support because the product works the way it's supposed. I had a brief issue with connecting to Shearwater Desktop which basically was resolved by reinstalling it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom