anyone want the truth and science on inwater recompression? It's incredibly effective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .

In theory, IWR is just as effective as Chambered recompression from a pure micro-bubble offgassing perspective. However, there is one fundamental difference in practice: In a chamber, the diver/patient can sleep or even be unconscious and still get the benefits. Under water, the diver must be fully alert and able to assist in their own care to get the benefit... and now that he's an active diver, drowning becomes a real possibility.

Given the unpredictability of the Bends, it's rarely a wise move for a recreationally trained diver to go back into the water once decompression sickness symptoms have begun. Best option is to put the diver on oxygen and head to a medical facility above water (on-shore, on-ship).

DS
Disagree . . .at least in the case of a properly outfitted & contingency equipped Technical Dive Charter:

If it's an obvious & simple type I DCS limb/joint pain only, immediately perform IWR -gas logistics, weather & sea state permitting. Even with a Recompression Chamber onsite, and from a triage point of view, you always want to have it ready for more a serious type II DCS/AGE case rather than a simple "nuisance" -relatively speaking- type I DCS incident that can easily be treated by IWR. (The choice of course of IWR versus Chamber is always up to the patient though. . .).

Kev, my post includes the note "recreationally trained" diver and based on your response, you seem to have missed that.

If the diver is recreationally trained, they won't have the knowledge and experience to self diagnose and differentiate between DCS I and II. They may even have trouble communicating clearly to the crew to assist with triage and diagnosis.

I've been a paramedic and a Diving medical officer. I appreciate your expertise but feel the advice you're providing may be misleading to our readers.

Regards,
David

Kev, my post includes the note "recreationally trained" diver and based on your response, you seem to have missed that.

If the diver is recreationally trained, they won't have the knowledge and experience to self diagnose and differentiate between DCS I and II. They may even have trouble communicating clearly to the crew to assist with triage and diagnosis.

I've been a paramedic and a Diving medical officer. I appreciate your expertise but feel the advice you're providing may be misleading to our readers.

Regards,
David
No I didn't miss that. . .

Disagree . . .at least in the case of a properly outfitted & contingency equipped Technical Dive Charter:

If it's an obvious & simple type I DCS limb/joint pain only, immediately perform IWR -gas logistics, weather & sea state permitting. Even with a Recompression Chamber onsite, and from a triage point of view, you always want to have it ready for more a serious type II DCS/AGE case rather than a simple "nuisance" -relatively speaking- type I DCS incident that can easily be treated by IWR. (The choice of course of IWR versus Chamber is always up to the patient. . .).

Here's a scary example slow onset of Essential Type ÎI DCS, unknown pathogenesis (unforeseen, obscure or inapparent origin):
. . .Point: If you have a “hit” and 02 relieves the symptoms, don’t think you are cured: stay on the 02 get to a chamber!!

Could this case have been prevented or at least ameliorated with immediate IWR upon initial post-dive signs/symptoms?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom