Is Richelieu rock much better than Similan islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poma

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm choosing between 2 days liveaboard trip to Similan islands and 3 days trip to Richelieu rock (includes Similan islands). Trip to the rock is almost twice as expensive and also takes more time (I'm a bit limited on time and budget at the moment). What's the difference between Richelieu rock and Similan islands? Is Richelieu rock much better?

In my opinion, YES, Richeliue Rock is much better and if you have to choose between the two, go for RR. During my 2006 trip it would have been a harder choice but when I went back 5 years later, there was too much coral damage and dead coral in the Similans.Whether it was due to coral bleaching or illegal fishing practices is a matter of endless and often bitter arguements but I thought that Richelieu Rock was much better in 2011.

Yes, it is worth it. Both Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai are really nice divesites with so far this season a lot of manta ray and whaleshark sightings as well.

Hardly any coral bleaching signs at Similans anymore BTW.

Yep, agreed with both of the above. Richelieu is a stand out dive site compared to many of the other Similans sites where there is a fair amount of coral damage. Personally I also like the big boulder type sites like Elephant Head Rock.

Poma, Richelieu rock is a fantastic dive but also can be a challenging dive if the current is way up. It can also be a challenging dive if all the live-aboards and day boats show up at the same time. Your profile indicates you have 0-24 dives. Some dive operators may restrict your diving on the site if you are at the lower level of the number of dives.

Yes definitely go to RR..it was far better when went there in 2009 and in 2010. The FB pages of the LOB companies have lots of reports in the past few weeks of mantas and whalesharks. You will regret it if you don't go.

Back
Top Bottom