Struck diver in critical condition - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, this is very sad. I hope for the best regarding the diver. I hope some good can come of this in the boating community...

As a Florida resident and diver. I can say that this incident will NOT change anything. Florida is full of idiots who drink way to much booze and smoke way to many cigs legal and not legal types. Florida is a free for all...what ever you can get away with is the prevailing law. Can't wait until they put the initiative legalizing dope on the ballot....will really be a cluster bleep then. Only dive Florida if your fearless or have a huge set. The next drunk numb nut in a boat could be driving toward you. P.S. the kid who hit the diver could probably care less. And probably blames the diver for being in the water during his drunken/high party boat ride.

This thread brought up many memories of my trip north. I had blogged about the trip on my author's site and I just scanned through the posts until I found the one where I had slipped in a comment about how inconsiderate some boaters were. I didn't, however, mention how I had gotten so fed up with it that once I let my frustration get the best of me. We were passing under one of the many many superbridges we encountered and I had throttled back to low idle speed. Racing towards me was a center console fisherman, triple outboards, bow so high it was all I could see - besides his wake. He was flying, obviously planning on passing through the span at full speed - with Sequel (my boat) just coming out of it. This was probably the fiftieth boat that had either passed me or overtaken me in a no wake zone. My boat is a 39' Sabre Hardtop Express with twin 380 HP Cummins 5.9 QSB diesels. It moves a lot of water at cruise, but I respect other boaters and the rules of the road. Anyway, here he comes, full bore, and I spooled up my Cummins up to 2,300 rpm cruise, something I never do when there's oncoming. I looked back just as he hit my wake - airborne - and he throttled back real quick...

It was wrong with me, but I won't admit that part of me still smiles at the thought.

Anyway, here's a link to my blog entry that kinda refers to that moment...

ICW 12 ? Singing in the Rain | john h hanzl

John

You need to get a license for a dog or cat... but anyone can buy a boat.

Follow the dollars. Pet licensing is income for the state. It is postulated that boat licensing would harm tourism, and therefore harm income for the state.

Jeez. I think forum rules constrain me from using appropriate vocabulary for this case. Bad enough to run down a snorkeler who may have had a proper dive flag up; but for bonus points it's a kid driving the Goldmember of p**** boats and daddy turns up with the lawyer afterwards. The only thing missing from this only-in-South Florida tale (at least as far as we know) is cocaine and hookers onboard.

Can't wait until they put the initiative legalizing dope on the ballot....

You don't have to wait. It's on this years ballot and mail order voting has already begun.

As a Florida resident and diver. I can say that this incident will NOT change anything. Florida is full of idiots who drink way to much booze and smoke way to many cigs legal and not legal types. Florida is a free for all...what ever you can get away with is the prevailing law. Can't wait until they put the initiative legalizing dope on the ballot....will really be a cluster bleep then. Only dive Florida if your fearless or have a huge set. The next drunk numb nut in a boat could be driving toward you. P.S. the kid who hit the diver could probably care less. And probably blames the diver for being in the water during his drunken/high party boat ride.
I remember diving Molasses reef off of Key Largo once, such a simple dive, but I am always listening for possible motors. Imagine my surprise to surface in close proximity to a silent sail boat quietly passing between dive boats. Not motor powered prop, but still not something I'd like hitting me in the head from behind. Hell, he may have been legal as slow as he was going, but still dangerous. They were certainly close enough to hear all the things I called him. He had such a shocked look to his face. :eek:

Another reason to boat dive (some protection). This past summer I almost got hit twice in Northern CA. While training in Folsom lake, jet skis and boats were driving within inches of our heads while we were on the surface. They were moving slow, we even had our float/flag out, and they could see us.

The last time was at Tahoe while working with class, again float/flag was out but boats were all around us.

We were diving before any boats were visible.

I don't understand it.

How do you prove a boat is inside the protected area around a diver down flag? It's pretty hard to guesstimate a distance over water. Alcohol is another matter. He will be guilty, if he was intoxicated.

I'm still a fan of deploying a smb when at the surface in an area of boat traffic. Not a guarantee, but something is better than nothing. I'll admit it's not practical for snorkelers and free divers to swim around with one. However it's one more way to let people know you are there. Too many boats with in attentive drivers. Finally,the boat looks like a gaudy mess.
As far as proving location, if the boat had a GPS sonar unit and it was turned on, it would have an accurate track logged in its memory. I know mine tracks and records. It is also very accurate for a $500 unit. I would guess that a boat like that would have it all! Either way, it's a shame that this happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom