Salvage Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AR20071205_003502.jpgAR20071205_000902.JPGAR20071205_000802.JPGAR20071205_001002.JPG005_5.jpg

Sometimes opportunity knocks, a quick $350 pulling a car out of a river, 0 vis, max depth 12 ft,
bottom time 15 minutes.

I met a guy last weekend that told me he would be part of a team salvaging a sunken house boat on one of our local lakes. I said that would be something I interested in observing, fully expecting him to tell me for safety reasons I wouldn't be allowed near the operations. Instead, he said he would have to talk to his boss and they we were always looking for more hands as they are a small operation. It is my understanding if they can get it on shore, the insurance company will pay them $9500.00. To me that makes it a commercial operation and I wouldn't think a recreational diver would not be allowed to assist. Am I wrong?

Ok.... first off that's very cheap for refloating anything of any size from 90 feet.

How much vis do you have? What kind of comms do you have? How are you going to know if it gets away from them and you need to get away from the area? You're dealing with a substantial amount of wieght. What happens if they lose their lift and it comes back down on you? I would say something shallower might be a better idea.

razor salvage diving is dangerous as hell. You must know what you are doing and what will be the results of your actions. I just floated a 40' house boat from 30 ft water. I was paid right at 2K $ so you can make money at it. But I have several $$$$ in OTS COMs equipment, OTS Full face mask and other diving equipment. Not even counting air bags, de water pumps. It's not cheep to get into it. There are tons of company that get a buddy that has tank and mask and now they are a salvage company.
If you get the chance to watch go do it but stay clear of the work especially if you dont know the guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom