Tiny Doubles and Tech question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have recent experience with this problem. Find an tech instructor patience and a lot of patience cause this is a process of finding out what works for you. This is going to be a process not a one time thing. There are a lot of good suggestion but unless they work for you they are not solutions. You will also need a dive shop that has various set up so you can try them.

If it works out for you, you're going to end up with a rebreather, so you might as well start there. It will save you a pile of cash in the long run. Rent a rb and train on it. If you like it, continue to rent it until you can buy one.

There is no more sage advice.

You petite ladies drive me nuts with your equally petite RMVs! :wink:

One option is to find a tech diver partner like you. Then you could reduce the amount of gas you have to lug around to meet the criteria of bailing their butts out. Just don’t buddy up with some out-of-shape monster with an RMV like a gas turbine or you will be packing twin 130s and look like this guy. If your RMV is anything like some ladies I know you could use double 50s and still have more reserve than most guys.

Attachments

• TechDivingMag-Fig11.jpg
    TechDivingMag-Fig11.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 295
I have to say that my progress toward tech hit a lot of bumps along the way. It was hard for me to switch my gas management thoughts back to buddy reserves (especially the higher RMV ones :D) . So meeting the gas requirements and concerns over valve drills with my shoulder (though that seems to be getting better finally) pretty much eliminated backmount.

Deciding to go cave made sidemount the obvious choice. I think I can manage the larger tanks needed for tech training and it works for my shoulder issues as well.

The sidemount instructor I'm going with plans to let me try a number of tank, harness and reg options before I commit to purchase. I really appreciate this approach.

I seriously considered RB but the technology just isn't there for me yet and I don't get to dive often enough to make it worthwhile. But one day...

I used to have three sets of Faber LP65s - very sweet little doubles. I also had a larger set of 95s for deeper dives. the 95s led to a rebreather... but those little 65s were actually more comfortable in the water than a big single. I actually split all of them up and use them when I am teaching.

Double LP72s are fantastic... the older ones are a little thinner wall, so the overall weight isn't bad.

However, they're neck/valve heavy. I have to add a 5 lb trim weight at the tank back to get them to trim out.

Just thrown a camband on with a 5 lb weight, then shift it towards the inside-center. They're fine that way.

The quality of your instructor can not be overstated. It has been my experiance that a instructor worth training from, has a stable full of gear, all set up for specific reasons. The instructor would also have gear that they actually dove, in their own personal proggression towards goals.

The local guru here can be found diving a single steel 63, trailing a stage. Or diving a revo with 3 bailouts, and everything in between depending on the dive.

Hope this helps
Eric

The one instructor I spoke with only wanted to teach me if I invested heavily into "tech gear."

RUN! Freaking run, don't walk, away from that instructor.

PM sent. Interested in the instructor...

A good instructor will work with you and your needs. Hopefully, you can find people with rigs you can try.

Before you go tec, you have to get in shape. It isn't something you should do 3-4 times a year, unless you get in shape every time.

I had lots and lots and lots of people, here on this board and elsewhere, that gave me advice and guidance and information so that I could make an informed decision. No instructor pushed me into gear.

That said, there are some that know how to wave a toy by you just once and you're sold! :D

My wife is smaller than you and does great in 95's, she doesn't like my 104's though

Thanks guys. I could not agree more on your instructor advice.

Jax. Good advice on conditioning. I have done cardio and weight training since my 20's and have a fairly well stocked home gym but my joints are not what they use to be and right now its the repetitive strain on my joints and tendons that worry me more then the strength to lift the rig. Any specific training advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom