Offbeat Manila Question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my next trip to Sabang, we will have an afternoon in Manila to kill on our way back, and wifey wants to do some shopping. She doesn't want a big opulent place like the Mall of Asia, but is leaning towards one of the city market type of places. She has heard of the warren of little vendors at Quiapo Ilalim near the Quezon bridge, and was wondering about looking here for woodcarvings, handicrafts, etc. Anybody have any advice about this? Thanks for your help.

agree, stay away from Quipao area, Greenhills or Tiendisitas (Pasig) for carvings would be a good suggestion. More upscale handicrafs can ne found at Balikbayan Handicrafts store on Pasay Road in Makati.. one factor also is where you will be staying since travel time should be taken into consideration

Quiapo might be a bit of a challenge, though I've certainly survived it and the nearby Divisoria: it's said to be pickpockety. Bring small bills and your wits and the two of you together should be fine. Tiendesitas has a lot of good little craft spots and is fully sanitized for tourist consumption. Greenhills, not as sanitized, one of my favourite spots in Manila, best for pearls, cell phones, and the kind of fake handbags that will get you into a world of trouble with US customs on your return. There are some handicrafts. kwhkg has an excellent point: the best shopping is somewhere easily reachable from your hotel. Tell us where you're staying and we'll throw out some suggestions.

I was thinking about the Best Western Corona, or maybe something else in that area.

A hop skip and a jump, then, to Quiapo. For the experience of it all: walk to the United Nations LRT stop, keeping your wallet on a chain or in a very, very inside pocket because the crowded LRT is heaven for the pickpockets; head a few stops north to Carriedo, walk a short distance south and enjoy all the atmosphere. Scenic and less risky: walk up through Rizal Park and into Intramuros and head along Gen. Luna to Silahis. They have several floors of fine crafts. Oh and, who knew, Balikbayan Handicrafts has a branch on C. Palanca Street a couple of blocks further east than Quiapo Ilalim. Consider checking the stores that have pricetags before you try your luck at haggling.

best western corona is in Ermita, not exactly an upscale neighborhood

Having read Woodman's post on shopping for a balisong, I think he's all ready to cope with Ermita and Quiapo. Don't let me down, lad, I'm betting on your resourcefulness and love of the Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom