7/8" valve / manifold question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KneeDeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
I have a few (4 to be exact) of the 3500PSI tanks (PSI? don't think they are worthingtons) that I would like to double up. I'm looking for manifold/valves to make this happen. But I don't want the type that have the angled valves... I only want the straight ones.

What makes are there? I know OMS is one of them (so I'm told), but did Dive Rite make them also? Are there others?

Just want to make sure I'm asking the correct questions for these older tanks.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2014 at 11:11 PM ----------

Also, how from pictures could I tell if so... beside the valve size.

only way to tell is the diameter of the threads, the 7/8 valves are noticeably smaller. Unfortunately the non slanted ones are quite difficult to find, they exist, but are hard to find.

Are you sure the Sherwood one that you have has bad seats? The rest of the valve can be rebuilt, and it's pretty hard to muck the seats up that bad....

Either way, suggestion is like it was in that other thread you have, call Jack at Edge-Hog, there was talk about bringing a 7/8 manifold back, but I haven't heard anything since Chris left.

Thermopro made them ( I have two sets that I use on PST HP120's & HP100's )...I think XS Scuba has started making them again, but they're expensive....You might want to go to Cave Diver's Forum, PST 7/8th tanks are a favorite of cave divers and you'll see the valves/manifolds for sale there more frequently.......

Although XS Scuba does offer a 7/8" DIN valve (Thermo), it is not a valve that allows a manifold connection as far as I know.

The other possible source is Wookie, here on SB. he mentioned in a post last year that he had a supply of right / left hand 7/8" valves as I recall.

---------- Post added December 1st, 2014 at 09:46 PM ----------

Good luck.

Although XS Scuba does offer a 7/8" DIN valve (Thermo), it is not a valve that allows a manifold connection as far as I know.

The other possible source is Frank Wasson (Wookie), here on SB. I seem to recall that he mentioned in a post last year that he had a supply of right / left hand 7/8" valves.

Are you sure the Sherwood one that you have has bad seats? The rest of the valve can be rebuilt, and it's pretty hard to muck the seats up that bad....

Either way, suggestion is like it was in that other thread you have, call Jack at Edge-Hog, there was talk about bringing a 7/8 manifold back, but I haven't heard anything since Chris left.
Pretty sure, I put them all together with new orings and tried to fill and it was leaking.

Have an email (by PM if best) to reach Jack… it’s worth a follow up.

Thermopro made them ( I have two sets that I use on PST HP120's & HP100's )...I think XS Scuba has started making them again, but they're expensive....You might want to go to Cave Diver's Forum, PST 7/8th tanks are a favorite of cave divers and you'll see the valves/manifolds for sale there more frequently.......
Yeah, they want $350 for the Thermopro… not worth it for me.

I started looking at Cave Diver’s, but no luck get, though I haven’t posted. Will have to look but I think that is where I bought the angled valves that won’t work but it’s been awhile.

The other possible source is Wookie, here on SB. he mentioned in a post last year that he had a supply of right / left hand 7/8" valves as I recall.

Have no desire to have these L/R only tanks, so not an option.

7/8" valves became obsolete when manufacturers went to the 3442psi standard. Look to eBay or other online sites would be your best bet.

Are u sure they are 7/8? The oms manifold I've got fit on my PST HP 120's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALL 3500psi tanks use 7/8" valves which are much smaller than the 3/4x14

All E-series cylinders will have an operating pressure of 3442 psi (230 bar). The cylinders will have 3/4-14 NPSM. The cylinders specification will be PST 's exclusive exemption, E-9791 and all E-Series will be hot dip galvanized. All cylinders are oxygen cleaned according to CGA G-4.1 from the factory.

Copy from web.....these are the steels I had the manifold on as well as AL80s.

I guess that manifold won't work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PST made some 3500 tanks before the reduced the rated pressure to 3442psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom