What fins do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ladies: I need your help! A friend of mine is setting up a dive shop abroad and needs some inventory to stock it. He asked me to send him some fins masks and wetsuits. It is estimated that majority of his clients will be women and I was wondering what kind of fins should I send? I personally like Jets, Turtles and the solid rubber fins but I do not see a lot of women on dive boats wearing these. Can everyone please tell me what fins you like ?

Thanks. The dive center will be in Port Sudan so tropical waters.

Your friend probably needs inventory that is easy to get in the area and distributors and sales reps as close by as possible. It will take some research into the area and the types of divers that will frequent it.

Personally, I use the UTD Precision Neutral fins, which are awesome, and work well with a wetsuit. However, they may not be practical or what the divers there are looking for.

I dive Jets.

I dive Jets, Dive Rite EXPs, and Mares Power Planas. I like a moderately stiff paddle fin. I have had students choose the Tusa paddle fins, and they seem reasonable. They come in colors that coordinate with masks and snorkels from the same brand, which some women like. They're too floppy for me, but might not have been when I was first diving.

I've actually never seen a dive operation that rents anything but full-foot fins since they don't have to supply boots also....

I realize you posted inventory but is that to sell or to rent?

Also your friend will likely want to stock what he rents so there's an upsell possibility. Sending a better brand not available there isn't going to do him a lot of good. Mares otoh seems to be everywhere. So does Aqualung and to a lesser extent ScubaPro and Oceanic. At least where I travel, in the Sudan it could be Cressi and Beuchat? Probably Cressi actually, they're big in Europe.

Your friend would be better off buying from local distributors (if there are any) than paying you to buy at discounted retail. Especially when you factor in the shipping costs...I'd just send him suggestions - you also may want to ask what he can get locally - I doubt UTD is an option in the Sudan for example...

Here in the generally warm, sunny, drift diving land, of SoFla, the ladies I dive with here , some of whom are VERY experienced, and some not:
1) Do not use split fins
(although I am not a user, I am told for those with arthritis or poor knees these are preferred)
2) like Scubapro Jets
3) like Mares Quattro's and X-Streams
4) like Cressi Gara's and Mares impacts
(Only the "Hunter-Gals"seem to like these "Full foot" fins for SCUBA)

Chug
Really a guy.

I used TUSA xpert zooms for several years, then went to SP jet sports, all of which were to soft for rough current or the drag of cold water gear, not to mention almost useless when I got into tech. I now dive SP Jets (yellow) or HOG tech fins (red).

Two problems I see right off the bat.
Mentioned before, your friend will do best with locally supported brands. The costs of import, shipping, etc & lack of service support is hardest on small new businesses who already have plenty of other challenges to contend with.

Secondly are the respondents to this thread...note we are all avid very experienced divers with tech diving background. Probably not your average newbie or vacation tropical diver...meaning our replies are probably skewed.

Back
Top Bottom