Slight free flow above water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
When I was setting up my gear today I could hear a slight free flow from both my primary's second stage as well as my octopus. The only thing that would get it to stop was to take a breathe off each one. The free flow would come back after a few min though.

I turned my tank valve off to prevent too much air loss before the dive. When I turned back on, same deal.

Last time I got my regs serviced was in July (approx 30 dives ago).

Reg is a newer Aqualung Titan, octo is an Aqualung ABS (which I hate).

When I was setting up my gear today I could hear a slight free flow from both my primary's second stage as well as my octopus. The only thing that would get it to stop was to take a breathe off each one. The free flow would come back after a few min though.

I turned my tank valve off to prevent too much air loss before the dive. When I turned back on, same deal.

It sounds like a problem with your 1st stage allowing the intermediate pressure to slowly creep beyond spec and forcing the 2nds to relieve the excess pressure. It also sound like it is not a problem that a simple adjustment can fix. I would suspect that the soft seat may be failing or there is a problem with the hard seat. The tech who did your service should be happy to correct the problem.

that would be IP creep. First stage will blow if you let it go too long. Take it back to the tech, they did something wrong or the parts kit was bad.

Fairly normal thing to happen as the soft seat takes a groove. The hard seat creates an imprint a bit like your fingernail biting in to your skin. Yo need to tighten the adjustment screw a quarter turn or so.

Just got back from the shop. Tech checked it out and says no ip creep. She thinks it's sand from beach diving a lot. She is taking it apart and cleaning it for me

I don't know how that model of reg is constructed, but it could be an issue with the 2nd stages if the orifices were adjusted and are just slightly too far away from the seat.

Fairly normal thing to happen as the soft seat takes a groove. The hard seat creates an imprint a bit like your fingernail biting in to your skin. Yo need to tighten the adjustment screw a quarter turn or so.

I don't know how that model of reg is constructed, but it could be an issue with the 2nd stages if the orifices were adjusted and are just slightly too far away from the seat.

The delay in the resumption of the freeflow after relieving pressure strongly suggests a problem with IP creep. An simple adjustment problem (1st or 2nd stage) would resume leaking immediately.

I concur, it sounds like IP creep to me.

I have the exact same reg. set. I notice the same issue in cold water when I first get in the water with my AquaLung ABS. I'm always able to stop it by quickly hitting the purge button once or twice or re-positioning the reg. I'm only talking about a very small amount of air coming out of the reg. During an hour dive I don't think the air lost would amount to much of anything on mine. It would just be more of a nuisance than anything.

Sounds like either IP Creep or your tec set the cracking pressure of the second stages just over the hairy edge to tune them up to breathe nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom