Schooling barracuda fish? Swimming inside the school?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW......!!!!!!!

Is there any place in the Philippines that I might find a school of Barracuda? Or other types of schooling fish besides jacks or sardines?

Maniguin island has schooling barracuda and can be reached as a day trip from Boracay. Have dived there three times and seen a decent sized school of chevrons twice. Sipidan or Palau is the best for barracuda schools I have seen however.

You didn't see them in one of your dives in Balicasag Island?

I did not see the school of barracuda at Balicasag Island, I did hear they were there thou. I did see the school of jack fish and the huge turtle, all in 1 single dive. I am open to go anywhere, I just thought swimming inside a school of barracuda would be super cool. So I thought I would ask around for others opinions.

Even at Sipadan, actually getting inside of the school you have to get a bit lucky, it depends a lot on the currents and the mood of the animals, also just one undisciplined diver can chase them away. Quite frequently the school just isn't there at all, it's not an aquarium after all. That said, I'm sure you would enjoy it, with or without barracudas.

Even at Sipadan, actually getting inside of the school you have to get a bit lucky, it depends a lot on the currents and the mood of the animals, also just one undisciplined diver can chase them away. Quite frequently the school just isn't there at all, it's not an aquarium after all. That said, I'm sure you would enjoy it, with or without barracudas.

Yes I understand that, the mood of the fish and luck as well. I was able to drift into the big school of jacks at Balicasag Island and the sardine schools at Moalboal and Mactan Island were pretty cooperative as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom