Getting to Puerto Galera by public bus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the helpful advice! Taking a public bus seems risky in terms of time and security. Would I be able to catch a ferry if I took a private transfer from the airport? I know taking si kat is the most predictable journey but then the time I stay in PG is going to be shortened unless I arrive Manila at midnight.
Taking the public bus is never an issue for me in Philippines. Had done it in numerous occasions but could be challenging for the first time visitor.
I am pretty sure no one can answer your question for SURE! You really have to think "what if" ie. what would you do if you miss the ferry?

(1) Start early in Manila(04:00) and you will make the first ferry to Mulle(PG)/Sabang/White Beach and should be in the water by 10:00am.
(2) Stay in Batangas or Calapan and the public transfer to Sabang is dead cheap and easy in the morning.

You are willing to spend P3,000.00 for the private transfer to Batangas another P3,000.00 should secure the crossing.
Paying P6,000.00 alone for the one way transfer is insane. I can get a comfortable room for P2,500.00(or less) in Ermita, P200.00 for a taxi to hotel in Ermita, another P1,000.00 for two reasonable meals, P200.00 for another taxi to Buendia Bus Terminal, P170.00 for the bus to Batangas and finally P250.00 for the ferry to Sabang. Combine total of P4,320.00. All I need to do is get up at 03:00 but should be ready for the 10:00 dive.

Last edited:
Your dive op in Puerto Galera should be able to arrange a private transfer that includes a boat ride, i.e. your driver picks you up at the airport, drives you to a wharf in a Batangas suburb, and a pumpboat takes you direct to the nearest Sabang wharf / landing spot for your hotel. The boat will leave at whatever time you get there, without too many worries about darkness. I think this cost us around $150 in 2013. As Centrals calculates, that's about a $50 difference from an extra overnight in a hotel in Manila or (if missing the last ferry) in Batangas. Factor in what you're spending to get to the Philippines, and make your decision. BTW if arriving from a vastly different time zone, you should not count on diving straight underwater. . .

Ok here we go from my last timetable I got, Susana shipping lines leave at 4:30 pm to Sebang. Phone number
+63 9287284468 probably worth a ring on Skype to confirm that or an email to your accommodation to check for you.
The other company is father and son shipping. They have a website, PUERTO GALERA FERRY PHILIPPINES - TRIP SCHEDULES. Their last trip is about 2:20pm. The ride is 1 hour unless the weather is bad.
To white beach last trip is 5pm

Ok now the buses,
depending on the airline you could arrive at terminal 1,2 or 3 all do international flights.
I highly recommend the official airport taxis usually outside arrivals, watch out for touts, tell them to use a meter, about 3-350 pesos and tell them to go to Jam liner bus, near corner of Sen Gil Payat avenue on Taft avenue, Buendia. About 30 minutes most trips at the time you arrive, but as people have posted it can get very busy in the morning and afternoon and in rain. Up to 1 hour 30 min There is another bus company near there that do the same thing and you may be dropped there as well.

You may be offered a taxi ride direct to ferry about 2000p is fair after saying no a few times, but negotiate tolls on top, a few hundred more. Get a fixed price all in no extras before going and expect to be asked for more on arrival, refuse! Again up to you, I personally prefer the back of the bus for safety on the road, haha.

When you get out at bus station someone will always try to help with your bag. It is up to you but they will expect a tip 20p for wise traveller's but will try for more, lets say 50p is fair its 1.10 usd
Everybody is good here ask for the bus to Batangas pier they will get you to the right bus.
I put my bag underneath, but, no real valuables in it and lock it. You could bring a wire and lock and attach it underneath but I don't as mine is too big for a really quick getaway.
It can be put inside on a seat but expect to pay a fare for it. Good insurance maybe! also watch you valuables bag especially as seller of nuts drinks etc get on. I've had no trouble but I get aware while they are on the bus.
On the bus preferably sit on the side where your bag is, if underneath. The bus may not leave till it is full.
The bus will leave only then will you get a ticket eventually, relax, but you only pay when the conductor comes around the second time, 167 pesos.
I highly recommend you have close to correct change, at least try for 2x 100 pesos notes.

The bus is 2 hours with one stop near the pier and depending on company 1 half way.
On arrive again you will be met with a bunch of touts don't believe the ones that say the ferry isn't running. Most will at least point you in the right direction, just say Sebang!
Or if late you may have to go to PG and do the Jeepney.
Tickets are 230 p and in a separate booth terminal fee about 50p, yep tax it's everywhere here.
You will be directed the right way into the terminal and yes someone will want to carry you bag for another fee!

Coming back is the reverse but there is a stop closer to the airport. Shonky taxi drivers will charge 300 p to airport after negotiation. But it saves up to going past the airport, to bus station trying to get taxi back, not many will go to airport for meter fee. If staying in Makati go to bus station.

Normally I arrive at 10am from Hong Kong and make the 1pm boat and dive at 3pm but I know my way, you may need an extra hour plus so consider this on your arrival time and the ferries. I'm not sure where your staying but you could go to PG or White beach if late for Sebang ferries and organize someone from accommodation to come and meet you for a fee. See get local SIM card below.

Recommendations for first timers are
Have small peso notes with you if possible.
Have a back up plan for Batangas get some addresses and phone numbers of accommodation.
Buy a SIM card for your phone in the airport. Smart or Globe telcos, same same, 5 days of data plus card about 400p/ 100 card 300 topup 200 for super surf data. At least get a sim so you can text ring accommodation/ dive shop in needed.

Get an app called "city maps 2 go" about $2 and you can download the local maps free, Manila and Batangas at minimum. Then you can put pins on the maps of bus station and pier to see if your heading in the right direction.
This app can be used offline. This is also why I recommend a SIM card as it work better on most phones if it can use a telco signal for positioning as well. At worst turn on your own phone sim if you have a locked phone. Don't answer call and turn data roaming off. Then it will not cost you.

SMILE dont get pissed off, you will be hasselled in a nice way, say no thanks, negotiate and dont belive every thing about ferries cancelled bus not running etc

Good luck. :D

Download files open in google earth :)

Attachments

• Airport bustop.kmz
    699 bytes · Views: 56
  • Sebang Ferry Terminal.kmz
    705 bytes · Views: 49
  • Ferry Tickets.kmz
    702 bytes · Views: 45
  • Bus parking.kmz
    704 bytes · Views: 46
  • Jamliner.kmz
    701 bytes · Views: 44
Last edited:
please note that sabang and white beach are 2 different places in PG so make sure you get the banca to the one that you want

Hi all,

I'm heading to Puerto Galera in Dec and need some advice on getting there from Manila Airport.
I'm going to book a flight in this week, most probably the one arriving at 11:15 am. I'm wondering if it's possible for me to get to Batangas ferry terminal before 3 to 4pm by PUBLIC BUS and catch a ferry to Sabang beach.
From my research, I've learnt that it takes about 3 hrs from Partas Bus terminal to the ferry terminal, but I'm not sure when I'm expected to reach the bus terminal considering time for immigration, baggage claim, getting a taxi, and etc. I'm worried about missing the ferry, as I have read that the last ferry at 4 is not in service sometimes. so I was thinking of hiring a private taxi that goes directly to Batangas from the airport too, but it doesn't seem to be a reasonable option for me as I'm a solo traveler.
I've also thought of taking another flight arriving in midnight and then take si-kat transfer service the next morning, but it requires one more day leave and hotel transfer in midnight could be a problem in terms of safety and expense. What do you think ?

i recently did this. Buses from Taft and Edsa to Batangas pier. can be as quick as an hour and a half these days but more likely closer to 2. taxi from airport can take you to Edsa or even better Alabang and then not as far to Batangas. Taxi to Batangas will be around 3000 plus negotiable plus tolls.

I've done the public bus a few times. As a foreigner never felt unsafe. On My first trip two years back, I loaded my bag into the hold of the bus that was 20mins away from departure, and told the conductor I was going to grab a takeaway burger. He nodded, but when I returned the bus was gone! I panicked, thinking end of vacation just a day after landing. A few frantic phone calls from the bus station supervisor and one hour later I boarded another bus following it and collected my luggage at the bus service depot, after a short trike ride from the last station at Batangas. I was surprised to find a healthy register of lost and found records and dozens of baggage waiting to be claimed. But I had the most terrible tension filled two hour ride on the way sitting on the rear most step just in front of the aisle facing backseat of a full bus. This was JAM bus liner.

I usually checkout at 12pm from a Manila hotel and find a 20 min taxi ride to the local bus station for Batangas. For half the price of a taxi ride, I enjoy recuperating from a longish flight at Manila the night before at many of the decent hotels in the USD 50 range available. Unless you are a five star person, the taxi fare simply isn't worth it.

The people in the bus are all regular family people on the way to visit relatives etc, I don't know where the perception of public bus as unsafe came from. It is a very regular and busy route as the last ferry station at Batangas will show you. Touts and bag lifters, yes they are a threat everywhere the world over.

Sent from Tablet, please excuse brevity and typos...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom