1st Drysuit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've recently been through the same decision-making process, for exactly the same reason. Although I dive in relatively warm water, there were many times over winter when a 5mm plus a hood wasn't cutting it, and I had come to hate the lack of flexibility in my elbows and knees with a 7mm.

I ended up grabbing a DUI TLS350 second-hand from the US, for much less than I could find them used here (very little second-hand market in Aus). It's my first drysuit, so I have no basis for comparison, but I love it. I was a little worried about teething problems with drag, overheating, seals, buoyancy, etc but have had no problems at all.

I actually wish winter had lasted a bit longer so I could have used it more! :)

Dave.

that is the main advantage of the neoprene suits, you need less undergarments. The cave divers in NFL regularly dive the neoprene suits with T-shirts in the 70F water here, so you can get away with a lot less undergarments. With bag suits you have the weight and drying advantage over neoprene, but you do have to start wearing a lot of thermals which add to the list of stuff you have to buy. You can wear anything from sweat pants and hoodless sweatshirts, to turtlenecks and whatever you want.

REI branded Polartec is very good, the midweight stuff is quite nice and any Polartec or Primaloft clothes that you have are best suited for that. Lavacore works well but isn't worth the money to most people. Check DRiS out for their selection of undergarments, then go to a Cabelas or REI or something comparable and check out what they have for skiing and snowboarding undergarments. Similar type concept and much cheaper. If you're good with a sewing machine, I recommend putting stirrups on your pants, thumb loops on the sleeves, and an elastic crotch strap on the top though since they tend to ride up.

that is the main advantage of the neoprene suits, you need less undergarments. The cave divers in NFL regularly dive the neoprene suits with T-shirts in the 70F water here, so you can get away with a lot less undergarments. With bag suits you have the weight and drying advantage over neoprene, but you do have to start wearing a lot of thermals which add to the list of stuff you have to buy. You can wear anything from sweat pants and hoodless sweatshirts, to turtlenecks and whatever you want.

REI branded Polartec is very good, the midweight stuff is quite nice and any Polartec or Primaloft clothes that you have are best suited for that. Lavacore works well but isn't worth the money to most people. Check DRiS out for their selection of undergarments, then go to a Cabelas or REI or something comparable and check out what they have for skiing and snowboarding undergarments. Similar type concept and much cheaper. If you're good with a sewing machine, I recommend putting stirrups on your pants, thumb loops on the sleeves, and an elastic crotch strap on the top though since they tend to ride up.

thanks, i'm actually a skier so i have a decent about of undergarments. i have an under armour heat guard skin and then i just use some regular walmart long johns and fleece under my ski ski pants and jacket.

another question i forgot to ask. is there other scuba equipment i will need. Meaning i see some people with a separate pony bottle ( i think) that operates their dry suit. or do you connect it with a hose from your tank.

If you are diving trimix you need a separate inflation bottle, typically argon, but many just use air. It isn't needed or necessarily recommended unless you are regularly diving trimix or ice diving. For the type of diving you do, just put a second inflator hose on your first stage and you'll be good. Most drysuits come with an inflator hose that is about the right length to go under your shoulder and in, and also has a pretty big connection grip thing on it so you can use it with gloves.

Sometimes in CCR, inflation bottles get used for both the wing and the drysuit if you want to minimize your Dil usage, but usually it is because of the high He percentages and dumping He into the drysuit does no favors for you thermally, and into the wing is just a waste.

So short answer is no, you don't sound like you'll be doing any real deep/tech/ice diving in the near future or have in the past, and it's easiest/best to just put the inflator hose right on your first stage. Will likely be on the left side coming down and under your arm following your SPG, just make sure you hook that up first so you don't have crossed hoses.

i've tried about a half dozen and own three dry suits (as well as a 7mm wet + a 7mm vest) ,i'll save you from more chest beating brand favouritism - unless you truly KNOW what you want - try stuff. pee valves, pockets, suspenders, boots or socks, zip seals, latex or silicon - front or rear entry - there's a plethora of options, ppl always find work arounds to all the little nigglies. if you can get something that fits half decent as a starting point a give it a try - you're an instructor - you've heard ' whats the best BCD ' a couple dozen times i bet. same will go for undergarments - name brands abound - good ski technical undergarments and layers of polar fleece nail it - marino wool is truly the best, until it gets wet...relative to your dive temps and what you're doing , it'll all be R&D .your first suit will very likely not be your last - jump in, try , the only mistake you can make not testing it for leaks . enjoy

thanks, i'm actually a skier so i have a decent about of undergarments. i have an under armour heat guard skin and then i just use some regular walmart long johns and fleece under my ski ski pants and jacket.

Re: thermals: I use the HeatTech stuff from Uniqlo, which is both cheap and effective. In regard to the Lavacore - it's not THAT expensive - and it has the benefit of being neutrally buoyant. I love to wear it in the pool with OW students: I demo the u/w remove and replace with the Lavacore and my students are amazed at my ability to remain negative when i demo ditching gear!

p.s.
For $700 you really can't go wrong with the ED. The other component for my ocean diving is a pair of the Highland Scuba Shorts (they have nice big pockets w/D-rings, which I can use with my 3, 5 and 7 mil westuits and the Everdry... Sure, they look like adult diapers, but they are one of the best pieces of gear I have even invested in. I find that those who laugh the hardest are generally the first to go out and buy a pair. The shorts are - however - useless diving sidemount, that's what the pouch is for... like other posters have said - try out as many suits as you can before making a decision.

best.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2014 at 09:15 AM ----------

Oops... one other point... I actually use less weight with the Everydry than I do with a 5m wetsuit!

Oops... one other point... I actually use less weight with the Everydry than I do with a 5m wetsuit!

Intersting. I dive a Bp/W now with STA. So I never need wait up through a 3mm full. If I'm in a 5mm i start to need a little. But if your saying you use less wait with SP than even a 5mm, it sounds like I might be able to get away with not adding any additional weight at all. Of course I'll have to test it and depends on my own body density. but that's a big plus. I hate have to add 8-10 lbs on with a full 7mm and hood..

you are unlikely to take any weight off of the equivalent exposure protection in the suit, so keep that in mind. While some of us do dive with very little lead, it all depends on the undergarments and the size of the bubble you keep in the suit. Most use about the same or more than the equivalent neoprene thickness fwiw....

I'm sure this will spark a lot of responses from brand loyalists, but i'm considering my first drysuit purchase...

My advice:

Skip the purchase of your first drysuit. Save yourself a ton of money and hassle by purchasing your SECOND drysuit first.

Back
Top Bottom