Edd Sorenson saves another one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what the problem was that this guy was conscious and alert but couldn't exit. Since he lived, hopefully he will tell us.

I think they call that scared out of your wits!

Does anyone have a link to Edd's first cave rescue when he saved the two divers. I have been searching and googling, but I can't find it. I know about the other two (now three) rescues.

Just a theory but I have seen it many times in my career. They manage to hold it together until help arrives then fall apart when it is "safe" to do so. As previously stated the diver did well not to lose it and try to climb all over the rescuers.

Just a theory but I have seen it many times in my career. They manage to hold it together until help arrives then fall apart when it is "safe" to do so. As previously stated the diver did well not to lose it and try to climb all over the rescuers.

Yes. That is a concern. If you read the article above about his first rescue, it just says that he brought the first one out. What it does not say is that once he saw that diver, he actually backed up to get out of his sight and then approach from a different angle because of the likelihood that the diver would go after him in panic if he saw him coming.

There may have been some medical issues at play. I'd like to remind everyone that the front of Jackson Blue is incredible and there's so much to see that you can do dozens of jumps without going 1000 feet. Once you get off the mainline, many of them are sidemount small and really silty. I've got a bunch of dives in there and haven't seen more than a fraction of it. It's a mistake to think you're going to see much in one dive or 20 dives so just go slow and enjoy it.

I've been in the news 5 times in my life. I even made the front page one day when I saved someone from drowning. In all 5 events, the media embellished the story drastically. I am certain this story is no different.

Yes, as an example, since when does it take an hour to an hour and three quarters as per the article to suit up for a tech dive?

Two of my local buddies took cavern class with one of Sorenson's instructors the weekend after this event. They told me the rescued diver had a silt out, got separated from his buddy, and lost his way. The buddy made it out of the cave and Edd was called. A stage bottle had been left in the cave by other divers and the lost diver luckily found it. That is the only reason he had enough gas to to survive until Edd found him. They said Edd was expecting make a recovery, not a rescue.

So, you heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who overheard it from someone - that about right? Sounds about as reliable a source as I've heard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom