Your Most Interesting Moment Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine isn't in the water, but immediately after exiting the water. I was diving with three wounded warriors and their buddies. All are on their first open water dive for an PADI OW class. Getting to see the look in their eyes after the dive and talk about how SCUBA helped them. Priceless.

The thermocline is a pretty cool thing also. A shimmering, and a cloud in the middle of the lake.

Three moments; Watching a Seahorse give birth...Watching a Dolphin give birth while being protected by her pod and watching a baby swim in a pool for the first time......Eyes open, holding it's breath, big smile on it's face and no fear !!!!

Great White encounter "in the wild". Was unbelievable.

254.jpg

Wish I had pic's but I don't have a dive camera. I subscribe to the theory leave only bubbles, take only memories. That is until I can buy a good dive camera. A few memories in particular stand out.

For sheer awe and up close encounters with marine life is the Kona, HI manta ray night dive. Absolutely jaw dropping experience. The manta rays swim literally inches above your head as you watch their watery acrobatics. When they swim directly at you it is possible to look directly into their mouths and see the gill rakers. We had 8 or 10 manta rays, but it seemed like they had 18 to me.

The incident that got my heart racing was when a shark turned directly to me then swam inches over my head. I was doing a night dive in Cancun when I saw a 5 or 6 foot nurse shark just off in the distance. While watching the shark it suddenly turned and started swimming directly at me and my daughter. "No bid deal" I thought, they are normally docile by nature so didn't think too much about it's approach. That is until it didn't turn away and kept coming at us. We sort of froze in the water not wanting to make any sudden movement that would provoke the shark and it swam just over the top of my head. My daughter says that it swam over her head but both of our hearts were beating like trip hammers. I looked at her and her eyes were as big as saucers and she put her hand over her heart and made a fluttering motion like "wow!" that was close.

This is a pretty cool thread...

I, too, have more than one interesting moment...

First one is when I put a reg in my mouth and breathed underwater for the first time ever. Unbelievable moment for me and that was back in 1988 and I still remember it like yesterday. It was a magical moment and unfortunately it can only happen once.

Second moment was when I was shore diving. I was in only ~25'. I was just swimming around, not too much to see because supposedly most divers went to the left or right side off the beach. I was diving the middle. I saw 2 large reeds on the other side of a big boulder in my path... I come around and it was the antennae of a 12.5lb lobster! I was screaming through my reg for 5 mins... I managed to get a hold of it and with my arms straight out, its claws just missed being able to grab my hoses. On the swim in, it was constantly biting my leg through the catch bag. Then when I got to the cooler, the lobster was too big!!! We had to end our diving that day to buy a new bigger cooler. When I got home, my wife asks if I caught anything. I said "Just one". When she came into the kitchen to look at it, she said "Are you going to let it go?" ... It was delicious!

Third really cool moment was recently at "Cheeseburger" reef in Grand Cayman. The silversides were in and the Tarpon and Jacks were in the overhangs and swimthroughs creating baitballs for themselves. I actually sat on my butt in the middle of thousands of silversides in a swimthrough as Tarpon and Jacks swam in and out feeding themselves. I could have stayed there all day.

Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.39.34 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.50.12 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.50.21 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.50.31 PM.jpg

Hope you're feeling better Diver Dan 28.

This is what I need thanks everyone for posting and keep em coming. Good stuff and only hope to see some of the things people have mentioned here.
Next September my dive club is going to the lulu in Florida and I hope to dive the Mighty O.
Thinking about cool things other divers have witnessed sure beats the pants off of sitting here in pain with nothing to think about.

When she came into the kitchen to look at it, she said "Are you going to let it go?" ... It was delicious!

I have to say I think it's a shame when people remove large, amazing animals from the ocean for a meal--why not let them stay, and take the breath away of many more divers for years to come? The joy experienced by many seeing a decades old lobster on their dive outweighs the finger-licking-good feeling one person gets from eating them, in my opinion.

I don't have many dives but I think it will be a while before I have a more mesmerizing encounter than we had on the night dive of our AOW course.
We did the course in Gullmarsfjord in Lysekil, Sweden.
This is considered to be one of the best diving locations in all of Scandinavia and I can see why...
It was September this year and our instructors kept in raving about how amazing the mareel was going to be, I had no clue what it was then but oh my did I learn!
It was my first night dive ever and I was so baffled by all the jellyfish that had been mostly annoying during the day but now they were all flashing with green, blue and red lights like some sort of aliens haha.
We all shut off our flashlights as agreed and I got a bit disoriented so waved my arm a bit to level out and well, ****...
The mareel exploded with light all around us as we were all waving around our hands, it was so unreal I could just as well have been tripping on acid!
We hovered around for a minute or two completely stunned by how amazing nature is, the dive was rounded off nicely with a few of us spotting a tiny squid half buried in the sand, he disappeared too quickly to get caught on camera though but the mental picture is etched into my brain forever :)
Can't wait for next year to head back there!

Tapatalked

Back
Top Bottom