Am I too old to take back up diving again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helix,

The truth is... you only as old as the woman you dive with.

I was certified in 1968 and still scuba dive (and a few years older than you :). And I even quit riding my bike a couple of years ago.

My wife (& my best friend for 38 years, & favorite dive buddy) loves scuba diving too (she's younger than me too).

However, "younger and scorching" is certainly no guarantee that she is up to the challenge. It would take experienced and trained divers (like some of us here) to give you some advice by visually assessing her muscle tone. Please post a picture of her so we can assist you further. Remember, we are here to help :wink:.

On a more serious note.... my suggestion is to get the physical exam, and if YOU feel comfortable, get back into scuba again. I'm sure you will love it. And as far as I'm concerned, diving with my wife is a very cool and rewarding thing to do.

Last edited:
I dive every week in Jupiter at 54 and it's awesome. Why not do some easy dives and hang out with the flag carrying DM on a Jupiter charter boat and once you get comfortable, take your own boat out and do some similar dives.

One thing that might give you a bit of encouragement is to bring back a couple of lobsters from diving the great Jupiter reefs for your friends and they will probably tell you to go diving more.

We dive off a private boat also alot and it's nice to easily pick different spots that no one else dives. There is some incredible private gps numbers that no one sees.

Post up a thread here when you want to dive and many will jump on the charter with you!!

DSC00337.sized.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

Holy crap man that is a lot of bugs. Now that's worth something to brag about that's for sure.

I dive every week in Jupiter at 54 and it's awesome. Why not do some easy dives and hang out with the flag carrying DM on a Jupiter charter boat and once you get comfortable, take your own boat out and do some similar dives.

One thing that might give you a bit of encouragement is to bring back a couple of lobsters from diving the great Jupiter reefs for your friends and they will probably tell you to go diving more.

We dive off a private boat also alot and it's nice to easily pick different spots that no one else dives. There is some incredible private gps numbers that no one sees.

Post up a thread here when you want to dive and many will jump on the charter with you!!

DSC00337.sized.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2014 at 07:50 PM ----------

Helix,

The truth is... you only as old as the woman you dive with.

I was certified in 1968 and still scuba dive (and a few years older than you :). And I even quit riding my bike a couple of years ago.

My wife (& my best friend for 38 years, & favorite dive buddy) loves scuba diving too (she's younger than me too).

However, "younger and scorching" is certainly no guarantee that she is up to the challenge. It would take experienced and trained divers (like some of us here) to give you some advice by visually assessing her muscle tone. Please post a picture of her so we can assist you further. Remember, we are here to help :wink:.

On a more serious note.... my suggestion is to get the physical exam, and if YOU feel comfortable, get back into scuba again. I'm sure you will love it. And as far as I'm concerned, diving with my wife is a very cool and rewarding thing to do.

Well we both mountain bike 10 miles a night so I'd say she's in pretty good shape. Get a physical exam by my wife or her GF's?

Last edited:
My wife got certified at age 75. We dive Akumal,Mexico and Kona and Maui in Hawaii. Just keep on having fun and lwt us know how you are doing from time to time.

Helixx, I (re)started diving at 50 and went divemaster at 54. Now at 56, i'm about to complete my instructor cert.
As long as you're healthy, you are NEVER too old. Best advice is to go get medical clearance.

FYI, the Vero Beach Scuba Club (look for us on Facebook) has a ton of people in the area to dive with. A bunch of old farts like me and plenty of younger people (and yes...single diving guys....and gals).

My wife has set herself up with dealerships with various manufactures so she can open a dive shop. Not sure why. As for me I'm really looking forward to spear fishing, which I have never done. I have though acquired the knowledge recently to build our spear guns in our "Prop Shop".
All four of us are looking forward to bug hunts.

I recently went though all my mid 1980's gear and found it all to be dry rot and the Seatec Original BC's to be crunchy. To add insult to injury the local dive shop has a museum and all my exact same gear on their wall and ask if I want to donate my stuff to the cause. Man did that make me feel old.
I thought to myself what's the use in leaving the store. I might as well just donate my body too, like some recently exhumed cadaver placed on display in a Cairo museum. lol

I really like these Omer Spear Fishing Wetsuits http://www.omerdiving.com/
I will state I have never had the lung capacity for snorkeling that's for sure.

1495302_1488594311403975_4746646396476590283_o.jpg

Last edited:
I will be 67 in two weeks. So far this year I went diving in Antarctica, went diving in Indonesia for a week, and spent two weeks (45 dives) in Papua New Guinea, and you're worried you are too old? Get back in the water!

Got certified at 51. I'm now 60, and have a tech cert and actively cave dive.

If your health is good (and if you are doing that mountain biking, it sounds as though it is) there is no reason not to resume diving.

No way is 56 too old if you are in good shape. I have just been on a overboard where a passenger , probably only in his 40s was so obese that he could not get or be hauled onto the zodiac....he had to be towed back to the boat. Chronological age , within reason , is less important than fitness, agility , experience and general health.

Enjoy rejoining this wonderful hobby we are so lucky to have found .

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom