7 Fun Things to Try on a Mundane Scuba Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could (and often do) enjoy myself as much out in the sand as I do on the most beautiful reef. Spotting crabs buried in the sand, looking for yellow headed jaw fish or garden eels, spotted snake eels, there is a whole nother world out there. I have only been bored on guided dives, waiting for photographers.
One of many such creatures hiding out on/in the sand...

And another little bugger in the sand...

Yup, the sand can have some cool critters in and on it :)

And of course we have Jabba the Hutt hanging out on a submerged buoy ball...

Point being.. I agree fully, there's no need to look at a big reef, its just a matter of putting your mind into the right mode :) (and making sure your vision is as good as possible, with contacts or prescription masks if need be)

I think this is EXACTLY the worst approach....what the friend needs to do, is to get the feeling of "Adventure" back in to his dives....

There's that word again...

Why do so many people assume that folks want "adventure" when they dive? Saying he needs to "get it back" assumes that's why he got into diving in the first place.

adventure: a bold, usually risky undertaking; a hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

Sure... some want that. But a great many don't. The marketer in me is pretty sure that for every one new person attracted to the sport by all the promotion of "undersea adventure" and the like... that another 3-4 potential new divers are permanently turned off by the proposition of "an adventure."

I dive to relax. I could spend my entire tank laying on the bottom and watching my bubbles rise. I enjoy watching others divers do their thing as much as spending my time exploring.

The truth is that diving isn't for everyone. If you dont enjoy it, find something else.

Good advice has already been said but, just grab a scooter and it will change your diving like you will never believe! Add to it an iriver and listen to Led Zep while scootering...what a blast!

I dive to relax. I could spend my entire tank laying on the bottom and watching my bubbles rise. I enjoy watching others divers do their thing as much as spending my time exploring.

The truth is that diving isn't for everyone. If you dont enjoy it, find something else.

Totally agree.....One of the many mistakes the dive industry is constantly making is to trying to market to the WRONG people....Remember the moronic DEMA campaign spending money on NASCAR to create divers?

Reactions: RJP
Puget Sound diving is very seasonal. In the summer, the water is FULL of life, but the viz is often very bad. In the winter, the water is often much clearer (sometimes dramatically so) but there is far less in it to see.

In the summer, I hunt critters. Camera in hand, I can stay amused for as long as I can stay warm.

In the winter. . . in the daytime, I do skills. Practicing airshares and bag shoots and perfect buoyancy and trim gives me a challenge that makes up for the lack of nudibranchs and the paucity of fish. At night, I hunt lumpsuckers with NW Grateful Diver :)

When I first came to SB, there was an article on the home page about what to do when blowing bubbles wasn't enough. We all find that thing, or turn to other activities. For some people, perfecting technique is enough; for others, counting critters and submitting reports, or taking photographs will be enough to merit the work involved in assembling and donning dive gear.

Someone that truly loves to dive.

-----------------

When it gets to the point that a diver is so bored that the only thing they can think to do is practice skills, it's time to hang up the fins and find another passion.

I would think the Transcendalists would have a mission....to rebel against the conformity of rules ( read as normative behavior) imposed by PADI and NAUI, as well as rebelling against their indentured servitude to the great corporations - the entities which now control governments, the News medias, and control even the very fabric of our culture today. They rebel over all that masquerades as freedom in America today........

YOu obviously don't understand the meaning of transend.

YOu obviously don't understand the meaning of transend.
Well if you made up your own meaning for it, without sharing, than maybe not. If we are using the long standing definition of transcendentalist, with it's religious and philosophical implications, I think I'll be ok with my take on it. Considering how zealously divers on this board defend various "beliefs" related to diving and gear, a religious categorization such as this, could have some merit :)

Tell him to read one [or all] of the following books, then go diving again... Setting The Hook (Hunt), Shadow Divers (Kurson), The Last Dive (Chowdhury), Ocean Gladiator (Ellyat), Submerged (Lenihan), Deep (and/or) Dark Descent (McMurray)... There are plenty others about the theory and safety etc of diving - but the above are some of my favorite reads that incorporate diving theory, adventure and history into incredible narratives and stories.

Maybe he didn't get into diving for "adventure", but in addition to possibly sparking some drive within him, these books will open his eyes to different types of diving going on all over the world, and discuss all the different possibilities of things to do underwater (while making him a better diver in the process).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom