Hey guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the above recommendations if you are going to rent something you are considering buying. Once you have your own gear, you'll find yourself diving more often. Those that I got certified with, if they bought gear, they were more likely to continue diving. As I accumulated gear, I found myself diving more often as well. Don't waste too much time deciding which BCD and regs you want, but also don't rush it. I've replaced my mask, fins, console, and regs. I have the same BCD which is an Apeks back inflate. I also found that my LDS way over charged for mask and fins, even with the student "discount". Something like a Hog low profile mask for $29 is a great deal. Get some nice jet style fins and they'll last you forever. But you'll also find that your diving style will change from the way you were taught. I was taught using a console with compass, computer, spg. After buying one, I later decided that I hated the console and moved to a naked SPG and wrist compass and computer. I luckily was able to recoup my console expense by selling it to someone on the site.

For all the stuff I replaced, I still have them as spare parts. I had a problem with my first stage a couple of months ago, so I pulled out my old one and used it until I got my new one back from repair. I forgot my new mask on a boat once and used my original one until I was able to recover my new one. So it hasn't been all bad having the extra gear.

The thing is, I spent less for my newer gear than I did my original gear and I consider my newer gear to be of better quality. It also better fits my diving style.

Good luck and get wet!

I'm ok for constructive criticism. Thanks

Haven't read the other responses.

My feeling from your post is that you're interested in getting started but you'd like to know "what's smart".

Without going into a lot of detail about things I'd like to say this:

- Equipment doesn't matter. Lots of people will load you up about all kinds of different choices about equipment but frankly, none of what they tell you is the least bit relevant to a beginner. Equipment preferences are something people develop much later but they forget what it's like to be a newbie. In terms of equipment, listen to your instructor, not the internet.... That said, listen to your instructor ONLY if he/she is telling you how to think about it and understand it, not telling you to buy what the shop sells!

- Training is everything. As a general principle, short intensive training sucks. There is far too much risk of 1/2 learning things and forgetting 1/2 of what you learned! You can compare short intensive dive courses to learning how to drive a car in a long weekend. I don't know how long it took you to learn how to drive a car, but it took me more than 3 days. A diving course is similar in complexity to learning how to drive a car..... and it will take a similar amount of time!

Summary: Equipment = uninteresting; training = very interesting. Spend your money on (good) training and you will become a good diver.

R..

Experience, Experience, Experience. Spend time diving and the experience will lead you to choices in gear and your interests. It also helps you understand what is important about learning the training you are getting. You have to be certain of where you will dive before you spend the money to buy gear for it, as in, if you are going to spend most time warm water vacation diving, then it doesn't make as much sense to buy cold water gear for your local diving.

Hmmm...my LDS has never turned my gear away for servicing. Perhaps I was lucky. I think baggage fees are a fact of life for most people, but really a relatively minor drop in the trip bucket, that the same interest in not hauling a bunch of junk will result in less baggage and fees.

Good gracious. Are you more confused now, with all of the books you just read about buying dive gear. Holy crap!
I will make it simple. Go to a dive shop or two. Get someone to help you. Most gear is safe and solid gear. And don't buy something online where fit and comfort are a must...eg...mask, fins, booties, BCD's.
With other online items, make sure there is a warranty. Good luck!

I have decided not to recommend gear purchases, except to recommend purchase of new over used, and local shop instead of the internet. I think you should try on all equipment before purchase, and it is good to have a local place for service and repair. Beyond that, every one has a preference, no one knows your budget, and personal preference is a big factor in selecting what can be pretty costly equipment. Also, I think the diver does themselves a service by investigating options on their own, looking at reviews in dive magazines and on the internet, talking to PEOPLE THEY KNOW about their experience with different kinds of gear. Also the purchaser knows the type of diving they will be doing, yet does not always detail it here. My advice: do your homework, educate yourself about options, buy local and buy new. Good Luck!
DiuvemasterDennis

You're hearing/reading a lot of things here.

Step 1 complete (quality) certification
Step 2 think about what sort of diving you may want to do
Step 3 look at your budget and acquire your equipment following some smart reviews including ease of service, local is usually better than distant. Expect to spend about $1500 - $2000 on quality equipment (head to toe including computer, wetsuit, etc) over time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom