Hackers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know why anyone would put anything private on Facebook. That's just asking to be put all over the net. The best way to not get private stuff hacked is to use some common sense.

buh, buh.... but how am I going to know if you bought a new sweater that is just bitch'n or not? What would I do without the pictures you took of the food you ate out to eat last night??????

buh, buh.... but how am I going to know if you bought a new sweater that is just bitch'n or not?
If I bought it you can safely assume that to be true! Actually I don't think I've ever actually purchased a sweater. Isn't that one of those "gift only" items like fruitcake?

What can I do or what programs can I use to guarantee that I will NEVER be hacked?

don't ask for a solution on s Scuba forum....

The only way to be 100% hack proof is to not put anything online and unplug the cable. I know, that's not reasonable.

Your best bet is using two factor authentication for any website or service which offers it. Twitter recently enabled it and google has it for some time. Facebook has a version of it.

Here's some stuff to read to get you started: Two factor authentication News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Lifehacker

Facebook Login Approvals: https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/introducing-login-approvals/10150172618258920

Also, don't ever use the same passwords at multiple websites. If you can't remember 100 different passwords (who can?), then use a password manager like LastPass. They have plugins for the most popular browsers and can log into websites for you. LastPass also has two factor authentication to their service. Good luck.
don't send emails, don't send texts, do not place any person informal on any online site (like scubaboard!).

two factor authentication is a red herring and has no relationship to the security of an online system. all of the system operators and engineers have inside access to the system. they do not need to know your credentials to see your data.

very few online systems encrypt stored data. so it is easy to read. the payment card industry (PCI) has strict rules about encryption and access to credit card numbers. but no rules around personally identifiable information (PII) like your name, billing address and phone number.

so consider every piece of information you send or post as publicly accessible.

there is very little you can do as a user of a public system to ensure security of your information. pick a good password(s) and keep them secret is about all you can do.

That is not a 100% guarantee. It's a good start but there are numerous examples of completely disconnected devices getting hacked. Just ask Iran about their centrifuges or DirecTV about their satellite cards. I'll probably have a cold fusion reactor in my backyard before the unhackable computer is invented.

They didn't unplug the cable which mattered, the power cable.

---------- Post added October 29th, 2014 at 09:24 AM ----------

two factor authentication is a red herring and has no relationship to the security of an online system. all of the system operators and engineers have inside access to the system. they do not need to know your credentials to see your data.

Look, we're all on the internet. Websites, web services, hosted applications, and servers are under constant attack if exposed in any way to the internet. These are constants. The fact that IT professionals have access to databases is a constant. We can't do anything about this except not use their product.

Even if we aren't on the internet, local governments and private companies like Lexis Nexis sell or provide at no charge our PII, histories of it, and the PII of all our relatives. Again, constants.

What we can do is modify our online behaviors. Using unique complex passwords, two factor authentication when available, and not sharing anything which could cause problems in our lives. Everything beyond that is far beyond the scope of what an average user is asking.

Do any of you use any special software like Squid Proxies. I searched Google and found them. They sound promising but is it necessary or do you guys (that are actually providing useful tips) think that's going too far?

The only unhackable way is an old polaroid camera, a cabin in the woods with no electricity with a safe that only you know the location and combination to, surrounded by trip wires and land mines. Even then there might be a way!

What can I do or what programs can I use to guarantee that I will NEVER be hacked? My sister's Facebook has been hacked and her account contains a lot of private photos, messages, etc that she definitely did not intend to be shared with anyone.

The only program I can think of is "del"

as in "del *.*"

Good rule of thumb is this: If you put it in the cloud then it's going to get shared.

You might not want that, but security on the internet sucks beyond human comprehension. There *is* no privacy.

Don't put anything in the cloud that your wouldn't scream from the roof tops.

R..

Do any of you use any special software like Squid Proxies. I searched Google and found them. They sound promising but is it necessary or do you guys (that are actually providing useful tips) think that's going too far?

Depends on your needs. Proxies are a useful for keeping your online activities somewhat anonymous. Would not have helped your sister at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom