SSI Specialty courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimrundive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone know the required amount of dives for specialty SSI courses. I talked with one place and they said it would be 130 for one dive and that's it I get the card while the other place requires 3 dives before getting the cards (at a slightly higher fee I'm sure).

Probably a noob question but what should I do. Last thing I want to do is pretend I have the knowledge only to find out the hard way I don't know jack but also I don't think there is a need to over do something so much (say dive many times for a night cert)

Which specialty course ???....They have several; Extended Range, Trimix etc......

There can be some flexibility in requiring dives with different agencies/shops.

Night certs are often two dives. One to explore the site with some light. One that is the actual night dive.

SSI standards are online at their website. (Check the downloads tab.) though The specific requirements for each specialty may not be in there (just the big certs like OW, AOW, S&R, etc.

Also, the number of dives could be higher than the standard based on what the shop wants to provide. It may take more discussion with the specific shop to determine if what you are getting above the minimum represents good value or not.

It really depends on the specialty - and on your instructor/dive centre. Anything between 2-4 is the standard, depending on the course you choose. For example (since you mentioned it) night dive spec is 2 dives. What specialty course is it you're thinking of taking?

I'm not sure the SSI website does tell you the number of dives required for each spec (although I do find their website difficult to navigate so that could just be me!), but it does give you a breakdown of what you'll learn - although specific performance requirements are not listed.

It does depend on the specific specialty. Anywhere from 2 to 4 dives. Some have changed. A third dive was recently added to the Deep Diving specialty. For the SSI Advanced Open Water Diver certification you need to complete 4 complete specialty courses and have at least 24 logged dives.

Back
Top Bottom