Fingertip tool for too close camera buttons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EskilJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
When I'm wearing my dry gloves, I have a very hard time pushing a single button (only) on my camera housing.
Actually, that's true even with my neoprene gloves.
So - do you know a ready made addon, to put on your fingertip to make it more pointy?
DIY solutions are also wellcome.

Cheaper housings.
My Olympus housing for PEN e-pl1 had the problem, and my new el-cheapo Meikon housing for my new olympus e-m5 has the same problem: The "up dwn l r center" button pins go straight through, so the buttons outside are as close as the buttons on the camera itself. In other words not exactly suitable for dry blue gloves with fleece gloves underneath..

The Meikon house is very much like a canon compact housing, except for having double O-ring and wet lens threading.

Last edited:
Try a wooden or plastic bead with a hole through it. Put a small loop of bungee cord through it so it will secure to your finger. You could flatten one side so it will not spin on your finger (also will not dig into your finger) and flatten or shape the other side so that it pushes the button without slipping around. should work well and cost less than $1.00 to build.

Ahh.. on my ikelite it has some short and some long pushbuttons, i just switched around abit so that i would have the long ones at the buttons i actually used under water.. works good! don't know about Olympus tho :p

I have the same problem. I was considering just an old school number 2 pencil. Just tie a cheap any thing of your choice to it to use as a laynard for it. Then using the eraser end to push the buttons.

These are "finger pens". What about one of them with the writing point removed?
49967263_scaled_336x249.jpg

No clue about sizing. I know they are split on the back and I'd bet with some gentle heating they could be stretched open. Might make it easier that way to slide on from the side, rather than over the finger.

E-reader stylus :) Ran into this issue myself and this works great. Tied it on with a length of cave line and it has a nice clip on one end so I can hook it to the housing arms when not in use. The rubber point does a good job of sticking to the button for easy pressing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom