sand dollar condos.....buddy dive???? thoughts....suggestion... observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Trip planning time.....wanted buddys but they have no specials in april. Anyone been to sand dollar lately? Like the kitchen and only 3 boat dives but mostly like the price. But I do not want to be a mook and chose un wisely. Where do yall suggest and why? Group of 6 hard core divers...hard core eaters and hard core drinkers....ok....fine .... we are a bunch of old farts living our dive dreams.....

This may not be your cup of tea, but it was mine (as a fellow hard core diver). I chose Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn for my trip in June. However they only do two boat dives a day, and do not have a restaurant or bar on-site. I rarely drink when I am doing a dive trip, but that's my choice.

The poolside restaurant at Sand Dollar wouldn't be my choice for party place - but you can walk to Buddy's bar from there. Or the other way to Eden Beach - they've re-developed Bongos as Spice Beach Club. Haven't been there. Spice Beach Club Bonaire

Sadly City Cafe closed last year. I liked watching downtown go by from their bar. Karel's bar downtown has expanded some also since the cruise ships started porting next door. If you've never been it's pretty pleasant to be overwater but can be louder.

Sand Dollar has very nice grounds and is right next door to BD. In my opinion, accommodations are better. The pool area is ok, but unfortunately, up by the road rather than near the shore.
I ate at Eddy's restaurant once in June this year. Did not like at all. High prices for Bonaire, mediocre food at best.

The house reef at Sand Dollar, in my opinion, is quite a bit better than at Bowker's.

I prefer BD overall because of the gestalt, ease of access to the dock, boats, ocean, house reef, pool bar etc. but you would be fine at Sand Dollar.
I think some of the individual owners will give you a better rate than by going through the overall operator.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience at Eddy's. I had Dinner there in September and it was wonderful.
Everyone will have their own opinions - I have stayed at both BD and SD and I prefer SD. I like how spread out Sand Dollar is - all units are oceanfront and you can go for very nice walks along the boardwalk right next to the ocean. Condos are very spacious (better than BD) - you can request ones that have upgrades (ie newer kitchens, walk-in showers, screened in porches). There are other restaurants in front of SD, a bank, ice cream shop, small grocery store, etc. so very convenient. Dive shop also on site. BARI reef is awesome !!

I have stayed at SD and would do so again. For the price and location, I think they have one of the best deals going.

Thanks. Maybe just a bad night at Eddie's
Will give them another try.

Doctorfish and others, we ate once at Eddy's last June and our 2 opinions mirrored the 2 seen here--I liked what I had and my wife did not like hers. Sorry, but I don't recall what I had, let alone her's!! A guy at the next table ordered the Big Ed burger--impressive looking--must be a foot high! I say, I want one of those--she sez, thery'll be no next time!! I think I must have had the smaller burger actually, that's what I usually get at a new place!! So, Eddy's is hit and miss apparently. I am told they do breakfast and it's good.

I just got back a few weeks ago. I stayed at the Sand Dollar, got air from Buddy Dive (cheaper than Wanna Dive or BDA), and ate lunch at Between 2 Buns most days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom