Student critical after CPR - Washington state

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver in critical condition after suffering problem under water | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
MUKILTEO, Wash. -- A 50-year-old diver is in critical condition after suffering an issue during a dive certification class Sunday morning.

Firefighters and medics were called to the Mukilteo dive park just before 10 a.m. after getting a report the 50-year-old woman was in distress.

The diver was in the middle of class when she notified instructors she was having problem and needed to surface. She was assisted to the beach where she was alert and talking, but later went unconscious and stopped breathing.

CPR was started just as medics were arriving and they rushed her to Providence Hospital in Everett. She was later transferred to Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle.

There is no word yet on what happened to cause her to go into distress.

Veteran Bellevue firefighter dies after diving accident
A 22-year veteran of the Bellevue Fire Department died Wednesday following a scuba diving accident last weekend.
Deanna Carr died Wednesday at Virginia Mason Hospital, where her fellow firefighters had maintained a vigil.
Carr was participating in a dive certification class at Mukilteo Dive Park last Sunday when she notified instructors underwater there was a problem and she was going to the surface.
She was helped to the beach, where she was alert and talking but she later lost consciousness and stopped breathing.
The Washington State Council of Fire Fighters said on their website that Carr did not regain consciousness after the accident.
Carr had been assigned to Engine 9/C Platoon for the last several years after serving at various other assignments over her career.

It's really sad that she didn't survive.

I dived at Mukilteo yesterday and when I was getting my gear ready a man asked me if I knew something about this diving accident and replied that I did not have a clue. I tried to keep my head clear from thinking about it while entering the water.

I wonder if she had a medical condition that hadn't been detected by her doctor.

Last edited:
Any more word on what caused her death? So sad!

Being a Northwestern-er and only OW certified a year, I was interested in this incident as a learning opportunity. The thread over at NWdivers seems to have a self-imposed blackout. As best I can tell from the thread is something preventable happened but no-one is talking.

Being a Northwestern-er and only OW certified a year, I was interested in this incident as a learning opportunity. The thread over at NWdivers seems to have a self-imposed blackout. As best I can tell from the thread is something preventable happened but no-one is talking.

Not that it isn't true, but I say it's possible that it was not preventable. Every long running accident thread I've read here has had folks speculating that it was preventable in some way. I guess by doing this folks feel like they can better make sense of the loss.

Also, you often don't hear with certainty what actually happened.

Not that it isn't true, but I say it's possible that it was not preventable. Every long running accident thread I've read here has had folks speculating that it was preventable in some way. I guess by doing this folks feel like they can better make sense of the loss.

Also, you often don't hear with certainty what actually happened.

Agreed. What bothered me about the NWDIVER thread was the following four statements(paraphrased):

- she signaled she while she was underwater
- she walked while on the beach
- she lost consciousness and never regained
- poster from the area thought someone was trying to protect the dive shop

Its this last one that is troubling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom