Wing Lower Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SillyQuestions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why is the lower dump on most wings on the left hand side?

It seems a silly place to have it, especially when loads of stages/deco cylinders are attached and the right side shall be free?

The light is in the left hand in most situations.

The only possible reason I can think is that the right hand could be on a scooter handle? (Never used a scooter though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because the power inflator is also normally operated by the left hand. scubapro *hawks have the rear dump on the right, and it drives me bonkers having to shuffle between left/right handness to adjust the power inflator vs the rear dump, as i usually have the light in my right hand. my BP/W has the rear dump on the left like you mentioned, and it feels more correct.

if you're running stages and need access from the right, get a wing that has a right or dual rear dumps.

The UK made Custom Divers is on the right. However the corrugated hose is inward facing which (IMHO) is wrong way round. I had one of these and broke off the hose with my drysuit zip. Now dive a Halcyon.

tdb-wings-single-bladder-system-with-b-plate-tech-harness-complete--62-p.jpg

I currently use a custom divers wing (the bravo, I don't like excess lift)

Never noticed an issue with the power inflator to be honest...

I want a new, simpler wing though and struggling to find one with a right side dump

Even with stages it can be manipulated

Right hand is the scooter hand, also the hand that works the reel, writes things, and does a whole lot of other stuff. Left hand is pretty much dedicated to inflation. Same hand can manipulate the inflator and exhaust valves making it much easier. I have an old travel wing from DiveRite where the dump is on the lower right and it is irritating because I have to use both hands, so if my right hand is occupied with something, scooter, the line, etc I can't manipulate my exhaust without swapping hands over

I always figured it was because my computer is one my left wrist to observe ascent while dumping air if needed.

Computer/depth gauge should be on right wrist so you can look at your depth when you work you inflate or dump.

As Tbone mentioned, right hand has it own other tasks. Never has issue with stage bottle and argon bottle.

No mention of canister light?
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom