Tummy Problem While Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very common for newbies to feel like there are problems like you describe due to STRESS. Stress can manifest itself in lots of different ways. Try to just relax and continue to practice. I assume having heartburn isn't something that you get often. As previously mentioned, eat a reasonable light meal before diving to help calm the stomach and digestive tract. Most importantly though, just try to relax and know that the regulator will give you all the air that you need. Focus on just breathing normal, just like you are doing now while reading this post.

Thank you very much guys for drop by your words and advices. Firstly, I feel that I'm not alone facing this problem. I will consult with my doctor about the medicine and concern about my meals during diving session.

Very common for newbies to feel like there are problems like you describe due to STRESS. Stress can manifest itself in lots of different ways. Try to just relax and continue to practice. I assume having heartburn isn't something that you get often. As previously mentioned, eat a reasonable light meal before diving to help calm the stomach and digestive tract. Most importantly though, just try to relax and know that the regulator will give you all the air that you need. Focus on just breathing normal, just like you are doing now while reading this post.

I agreed with you Mr. Joe about STRESS. I think that what exactly had happened to me. Actually on the first day session everything was fine. My first ever decent was excellent and I equalized perfectly. I was really comfortable except a bit problem with my tummy and my sight (I was wearing correction lens). But when come to 2nd and 3rd sessions on the next day, it was very unpleasant. By now I already postponed by island trip to the next year, while I'm going to overcome my problem first, practice and training before open water session.

This condition is easily resolved at depth by judicious use of a well-known technique commonly called the 'warhammer' maneuver. No drugs are required and should help with most tummy issues while diving.

Ken's rule #1. Don't eat brautworst prior to diving. I'll be "off gassing" for hours after diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is the sauerkraut ok?

So avoid slow burning carbohydrates and fatty foods the: pizza, French Fries, pancakes and don't drink coffee just before diving. They fatty stuff stays in your stomach longer. Also OP you don't state your weight but people who are over weight have more reflux than leaner people.

You know, this is one of those cases where trying to get someone to diagnose you over the internet is really fraught with hazard.

You didn't give us any information about your age, your general health, or your degree of fitness. I would worry quite a bit about someone in, say, their 50's, who starts a new activity that involves exertion and (relative) cold, and starts to get burning lower chest or upper abdominal pain. In fact, we had a case here a while back where someone ended up getting diagnosed with his heart disease BECAUSE he posted about similar symptoms while diving.

Of course, if you're 22 and completely healthy, the likelihood of this is much lower. This is why internet diagnosis is scary. We just don't have enough information to advise you on what might be causing your symptoms.

You know, this is one of those cases where trying to get someone to diagnose you over the internet is really fraught with hazard.

You didn't give us any information about your age, your general health, or your degree of fitness. I would worry quite a bit about someone in, say, their 50's, who starts a new activity that involves exertion and (relative) cold, and starts to get burning lower chest or upper abdominal pain. In fact, we had a case here a while back where someone ended up getting diagnosed with his heart disease BECAUSE he posted about similar symptoms while diving.

Of course, if you're 22 and completely healthy, the likelihood of this is much lower. This is why internet diagnosis is scary. We just don't have enough information to advise you on what might be causing your symptoms.

Thank you for your concern and advice. To be exact I just try to find other peoples with the same experience that might lead me to certain direction while I never under estimate my body condition and limit which i the only one who know at best.

I'm 37, 89.1 kg, 169cm. Speaky with high lens power. No smoke and no drink, no medical history so far. I was an active person, involved in outdoors activities like hiking and trekking beside some sports like football and badminton, but after I have got ACL injury during my badminton tournament in 2006, my activities turned down. My knees cant support aggressive movement no more. I would like to state that occasionally i having heartburn and acid reflux especially after having spice meals like curry. To cure the problem I took Gaviscon and it work.

I went to doctor a while back, my blood pressure at prehypentension once, then normal with some awhile up and down. Doctor advised me to concern about my diet and go for some light exercise to maintain my condition beside try to stay away or stay calm in stress situation on jobs burden or any other things. I have managed it well.

I think i in the a good condition but i may say that it a little bit stress to familiar and adapt with the new condition with the apparatus and breathing under the water. I went to 3 pool sessions, my 1st session was really great, i enjoy it and everything went good. But then on the 2nd n 3rd session in following days were different.

I still believe, there is nothing to do with my body but I more on STRESS management as describe by Roatan Joe.

Thank you for the additional information -- it makes me feel better. You are right; this sounds more like stress and anxiety than anything else. I'd say possible esophageal reflux if it weren't for the mention of shortness of breath, which is not a symptom of that condition.

Back
Top Bottom