Ice diving this winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeepman3sk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone, I was wondering where everyone goes for ice diving training and then to actually dive. I have been itching to learn and some guidence on local shops around Boston would be awesome. I haven't found a shop yet. I am advanced cert and started my tech diving training. Thanks for the help in advance​

doing a course this winter in ontario can

Talk to East Coast Divers in Brookline. They ran a class last February up in Lake Winnepesaukee that my buddy and I took....fun experience.

Lake Winnepesaukee is a awesome ice dive. I did back it in 78-79 the ice was 3 feet thick! The fish are so slow you can pet them. We played hockey upside with a street hockey puck (hollow so it floats). :) You guys have fun I'm done ice diving.

Lake Winnepesaukee is a awesome ice dive. I did back it in 78-79 the ice was 3 feet thick! The fish are so slow you can pet them. We played hockey upside with a street hockey puck (hollow so it floats). :) You guys have fun I'm done ice diving.
Can we at least see the pic with the rope tied around your wife in the tent near the ice hole?......You crazy kid

Can we at least see the pic with the rope tied around your wife in the tent near the ice hole?......You crazy kid

That was Stafford Pond RI earlier in the same winter 1978 the year of the BIG blizzard.

These 2 are from the LW dive. :)
iceman 001.jpgiceman 002.jpg

The dive was put on by Viking Dive Shop Newport long gone now. They had 2 huge triangle shaped holes, much too big to stop my wife from getting pulled thru :) those holes let so much light in I didn't really need a line but had one any way. That line was secured to a eye lag bolt screwed into the ice and tended by the dive buddy I had on the Stafford Pond dive. Those were the golden days we just didn't know it! Nobody was asked for a cert because as far as I know there were no ice diving certs back then.

Love the vintage shots. I also like the Poseidon Cyklon reg. A workhorse reg that Cousteau and Nordic divers used way back when. I am a Odin guy! :D

Love the vintage shots. I also like the Poseidon Cyklon reg. A workhorse reg that Cousteau and Nordic divers used way back when. I am a Odin guy! :D

Yeah ya got love the way we were back then. Some divers today would feel ill equipped for a OW with that gear, we did ice diving with it and survived, most of us that is. :( I borrowed that reg from a friend that was going to dive but changed his mind. The single number surface temps don't come through in the pictures! "It's too cold to go diving" he whined. "Would you use my new reg and let me know how it works"? "Sure I will"!!! :) That's why he tended.

My first two certifications were through the Viking Dive Shop!

I was told that Larry sold the biz to his son who then turned into a knife store. Do you know if that's true? Larry's main store was in Providence if I remember correctly he even had his own indoor pool there for training. At the time he was the only Scubapro dealer in RI the other closest dealer was in Fairhaven Ma. a LDS I still use today run by the original owner's son Bob Mercer Jr. Bob Sr. was the one that trained me.

Back
Top Bottom