Another Spawning of the Goliaths is coming ...Again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how was it?
They were still massing, but no spawning yet....flat calm seas, a bit of a current, but this is good as it collects the swarms "near" parts of the ship where they ride out of the current in protection of structure...
I am just downloading my camera now, so I may put up a youtube video late today or tomorrow....:)

It was a really fun trip, with some great people fro, Scubaboard that showed up.....I am sure they will chat about this....next try is the 23rd, leaving the dock around 5p

---------- Post added October 16th, 2014 at 12:43 PM ----------

And here is a rough edit of last nights quarter moon dive for goliaths......It was a twilight dive, becoming totally dark with about 15 minutes till end of bottom time.....but then on surfacing, the sun was actually just setting.
[video=youtube_share;WAMDnYo3RC0]http://youtu.be/WAMDnYo3RC0[/video]

I included the hot drop, to show how profoundly easy this is....and there are no edits of this from the platform of the boat, to just before Terry hooks off the float to the surface, to the deck. The short elapsed time will mean not wasting nearly as much gas getting down on a line.....and you can just fall down with light kicking, and keep your heart rate at a resting level.

Last edited:
About 1 minute to the bottom? What was the depth?

About 1 minute to the bottom? What was the depth?

Depth to the deck is about 95 or so...to the sand maybe 115.

5 seconds elapses from "camera on", till I jump off the platform....Terry is at bottom 47 seconds in, me at 49, so 44 seconds to what is about a 95 foot deep deck . If anyone has bothered to look at their depth gauge on the deck, you can pop in here with the actual measured depth, rather than my estimate :)

I can tell you it was one superb dive. Flat calm seas (the sky was actually reflecting on the ocean). Warm all the way down. A layer of murk at the surface gave way to about 40-50' of vis on the wreck itself, nice!. Lots of goliaths. I hung out at the bow and there were about 30 grouped there. Others said they were numerous at other spots on the wreck as well. Lots of the fish had bait balls. Amazingly for this late in the year, it does look like another spawn is imminent. On top of the great fish action, the orange cup corals that cover the bow area were open in all of their brilliant orange glory. Current was light, going to moderate towards the end, still it was light enough to swim against (it was strong on the the line for the safety stop).

When I surfaced, I was amazed to see a blazing orange/red/yellow/pink sunset sky all around, 360 degrees of color reflected on the ocean. Lasted for almost 20 minutes. Rushed to get my camera out of the housing and take a lot of photos. Will be posting later. It was as much a treat as the dive itself. On Tuesday I thought it would be way too rough, but last night we hit that very brief window of flat calm before a front comes through, perfect timing!

Dan, thank you for arranging this OUTSTANDING trip, and to Lynn, also.

Rich, it was great to dive with you again!

By the way, Dan, great video! Really shows how many there were all around. I see that I missed a lot of fish around the superstructure.

Goliath Grouper mgmt handout_0914b-1.jpg

From Chris Koenig, PhD and expert on Goliaths...a handout that could be useful...he just used this with the FWC Commissioners

Attachments

• Goliath Grouper mgmt handout_0914b-1a.jpg
    Goliath Grouper mgmt handout_0914b-1a.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 143
Great dive on Wednesday night. Thanks for setting it up Dan. I think the video says it all. Lots of Goliath Groupers, good vis and not a lot of current and flat seas.

See you on Sunday morning for another dive or maybe 2 on the Castor with Splashdown Divers.

Nice diving with you and wife again Guy.

[video=youtube_share;qHFkQrPtlJM]http://youtu.be/qHFkQrPtlJM[/video]

This morning's Castor dive with Splashdown Dive Charters...It included Scubaboarders Guy Harrison & wife Maribi, as well as APRXH !!!
Watch in 1080P only.... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom