Another Spawning of the Goliaths is coming ...Again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yesterday we dove the Castor with Splashdown Dive Charters......We had an amazing surprise....it looks like they are about to spawn again, and the party has really grown.....I'm thinking well over 100 goliaths...

There is a quarter moon they may spawn at-- Wednesday night......Splashdown will go for this, weather permitting....and there is a New Moon on the 23rd, which is also a very high probability event. Ideally to witness the spawning, you would want to be in the water just before sunset.

As for me being wrong about the implications of this footage you can see.....I have vetted it with Christopher Koenig, Phd at FSU, and a top expert in Goliaths. He believes they will be spawning in the next couple of weeks....with the various cycles of the moon.

And the video

[video=youtube_share;0sTblBq1Ok4]http://youtu.be/0sTblBq1Ok4[/video]

If you can go, join us for some fun on these two next opportunities.... I'd love to get some scuba-boarders on video, in the middle of a wild adventure dive like this!!!

p.s.
I am planning on Wednesday as a twilight dive, but I am NOT going if it is insanely rough.....the issue of getting the camera back on the boat without damage to it....
We have had flat calm the last couple of weeks, but today and tomorrow it is blowing....keep your fingers crossed for Wednesday!

Last edited:
I did 4 dives on the Castor Oct 4-6, this is what it looked like then also. More GG, bait, and hunters than I would have expected post aggregation. Quite a dive.

What's the pink finned, lobster bag toting diver doing trying to pet the grouper in the video, poor form

I did 4 dives on the Castor Oct 4-6, this is what it looked like then also. More GG, bait, and hunters than I would have expected post aggregation. Quite a dive.

What's the pink finned, lobster bag toting diver doing trying to pet the grouper in the video, poor form
Don't know about her....just a diver that swam in front of my camera :)

cool video. I've not seen that many on a wreck before. There is so many of them, it is deceiving...for the most part they look like they are are 40 or 60 lbs... Of course they're not. And someone tried to touch a jewfish.. OMG!:D:D:D

I thought it was kind of funny that looking over some vids and reports I've seen, the goliaths looked hot to trot on the Jupiter Wreck Trek and Mizpah Corridor back at the end of July and through August ... then when I got out to the Danny on Labor Day it was relatively subdued (if you call a dozen or so goliaths per wreck "subdued"). Now it looks like the Castor is hopping ... grr, lousy time for a sore throat to announce itself.

One of the cool things about this last Sunday dive, was the constant bellowing of the goliaths....you can hear this quite easily on the video.
Also, for those that like penetrating wrecks, when there are 100 on the outside, there is also a huge number on the inside, and they will be "packed" in there...could be some cool video as well!

I am going to watch the weather, but will check to see if I can tentatively reserve. But like you Dan I won't go if it is rough like it is today. Let's hope for the best!

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 10:29 AM ----------

Looks like weather caught us a break! We will be there!

See you tonight
I was just by the water, very small chop, less than a foot, and the wind is starting to turn west :)

Should be perfectly flat seas!!! A great night for a Goliath Party!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom