Video editing - android tablet or windows laptop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd really like to get an android tablet. But I'm afraid getting a tablet will hold me back in terms of video and photo editing.

What's the difference in terms of the quality/functions of video and photo editing I can do on a laptop versus an android tablet?

What are the best android apps for photo and video editing?

Thanks.

You can get the Microsoft surface pro it's a laptop tablet and they are very powerful

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What's the difference in terms of the quality/functions of video and photo editing I can do on a laptop versus an android tablet?

Thanks.

The three hardware items that will effect your video editing the most: RAM and processor speed and video card. I wouldn't recommend video editing on a tablet ever, really wouldn't recommend it on a laptop if a desk top was available.

Thanks guys. Bummer. It wasn't just about the tablet format. I wanted android. Oh well, guess I'll have to make some sacrifices.

Or you could buy an MTech tablet they custom build then for you and I'm sure they can help you out if you call them. Or they can build you a vidoe editing laptop too http://www.m-techlaptops.com

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Bummer. It wasn't just about the tablet format. I wanted android. Oh well, guess I'll have to make some sacrifices.

I've used Vegas Movie Studio 12 effortlessly on a Toshiba Portège Z10t (with Windows 8.1). It's really light and you can detach the screen can from the keyboard. I don't think anyone would ever choose a tablet, or even a laptop for video editing if they could have the power of a desktop, but it does mean that when I'm on holiday I can check my footage easily. One advantage these sorts of machines have is that they're generally solid state drives, which means faster read/write times. Vegas won't work with Android.

Cheers,
Matt

I've used Vegas Movie Studio 12 effortlessly on a Toshiba Portège Z10t (with Windows 8.1). It's really light and you can detach the screen can from the keyboard. I don't think anyone would ever choose a tablet, or even a laptop for video editing if they could have the power of a desktop, but it does mean that when I'm on holiday I can check my footage easily. One advantage these sorts of machines have is that they're generally solid state drives, which means faster read/write times. Vegas won't work with Android.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks. I think this means the specs of any good tablet with ultrabook specs should do, even if it's not fantastic. I believe your portege doesn't have discreet graphics but maybe an i5/i7 processor, and only maybe 4 GB ram?

Hard to tell as there are different models out there.

Like you, I take my laptop/tablet on my travels and want to edit during my vacations. So I don't want to lug around some heavy thing. Thanks.

Yep, that's right, basic model - 4GB RAM, i5 processor... but the speed is really surprising due to using SSD, sometimes with an external USB 3.0 HD. I use it to see if things have "worked" - you know, like white balance settings and stuff like that, rather than just finding out when I get home from the trip.

Cheers,
Matt

I can't imagine editing video, especially HD video, on a tablet. I do edit it occasionally on my laptop but it is an i7-based system with 8 GB of RAM. The 5400 rpm hard drive does limit my ability to render the video effectively unless I use a flash memory card or external drive. M<ost of my editing is done on one of my desktop computers though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom