Looking for dive advice for Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics daz88. The trip is approaching ever closer! Can't wait.

Thanks. I'll be back in Thai in little more than a week. Not sure how much diving time I'll get. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go to Krabi for 5 or 6 days during my stay. I'll be bouncing around Thai, Laos, and Maybe Myanmar. Enjoy your trip!

Unfortunately I haven't been back to Thailand since my month there in 2001. Enjoyed the geology around Krabi, the diving off Koh Phi Phi and the peace and quiet of Koh Lanta. But this was all before the tsunami hit. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did mine.

Phuket is not a dive destination. Boats from Phuket may take you near Phi Phi or other sites. Phi Phi is a good place for people who want to party and dive. Food/accommodations are generally at Caribbean prices, though diving is a bit less. My last dives there and in the region extending to Koh Lipe in the south were disappointing due to limited visibility (5-20 m) and severe damage to coral in some locations. Sea life seemed less abundant than in the past. I am not sure that a liveaboard to the Similans will be any better: I haven't done one, but I'm not that impressed by the videos I've seen. As for Indonesia, you should check if you would be arriving in the rainy season. A few places in the Philippines might offer more, but my favourite dive area of the past few years remains the Red Sea in terms of cost, water transparency and coral health. Finally, I doubt that the dive shop you choose will make much difference. Most share the same boats. The guide/divemaster is important, so I would scout around for compatibility on that level. Different shops target customers by language (Hippo = Korean) for example, but all can provide good service in English.

Dive boats in Phi Phi are generally much bigger than their Caribbean counterparts and always have a marine head. Lots of local free food and beverages are provided throughout the trip. Still, this does not overcome growing regional problems caused in the past by dynamite fishing and in the present by pollution and huge numbers of divers.

Phuket is not a dive destination. Boats from Phuket may take you near Phi Phi or other sites. Phi Phi is a good place for people who want to party and dive. Food/accommodations are generally at Caribbean prices, though diving is a bit less. My last dives there and in the region extending to Koh Lipe in the south were disappointing due to limited visibility (5-20 m) and severe damage to coral in some locations. Sea life seemed less abundant than in the past. I am not sure that a liveaboard to the Similans will be any better: I haven't done one, but I'm not that impressed by the videos I've seen. As for Indonesia, you should check if you would be arriving in the rainy season. A few places in the Philippines might offer more, but my favourite dive area of the past few years remains the Red Sea in terms of cost, water transparency and coral health. Finally, I doubt that the dive shop you choose will make much difference. Most share the same boats. The guide/divemaster is important, so I would scout around for compatibility on that level. Different shops target customers by language (Hippo = Korean) for example, but all can provide good service in English.

Dive boats in Phi Phi are generally much bigger than their Caribbean counterparts and always have a marine head. Lots of local free food and beverages are provided throughout the trip. Still, this does not overcome growing regional problems caused in the past by dynamite fishing and in the present by pollution and huge numbers of divers.

How many times have you dived the Andamen sites around Phuket and when was the most recent? We already know you have no first hand knowledge on which to opine on the Similan sites.

LOL My trip has turned out to this so far:

I arrive in Phuket in the Evening. So I'm going to stay 5 minutes away from the airport at this little beach place.
Next day wake up and have food at Octopus Garden and go to the Nai Yang Beach Resort to hail a taxi to drive us to Krabi.
Arrive in Krabi on a Tuesday and hang out We got rooms at the Ao Nang Beach Resort.
Wed-Thur-Friday Dive with Poseidon Dive Shop (so excited about these days. Have been following the shop on FB and it looks great)
Saturday, Sunday bum around Krabi and fly to BKK from Krabi on Sunday evening.

If anyone has advice for better places to stay, must not miss food, or easy sightseeing in Krabi be sure to let me know!

Coming late to the party here. I'll be heading to Krabi in December/January and looking for some beta. Jessy, how did the trip go?

I fly into Phuket tomorrow and drive into Krabi the day after. I'll let you know! So far Dan from Posiedon has been awesome with communication. Let's hope the diving goes as well!

Coming late to the party here. I'll be heading to Krabi in December/January and looking for some beta. Jessy, how did the trip go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom