worst online retailer with which i've ever had the displeasure of dealing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[h=1]You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time[/h]

about sums it up

I can sympathise with smarino7 in his frustration about the stolen equipment. Encountering a CC problem in a situation like this must be extremely irritating. I hope you managed to get everything together for the trip. However, my experience with DRIS has always been very good. I have purchased many items from them and often contacted Mike personally. Every time I paid with a European card and gave a US shipping address, and never encountered a problem. If I had questions or wishes, Mike always was helpful and quick to respond.

Thanks, Mike, for sharing about your daily combat with fraud - I had no idea about this aspect of your business. This makes me appreciate your personal attitude to me as your customer even more.

BTW, it was sad to hear that criminals with stolen credit cards are trying to buy scuba gear. Are there crooks among divers? Really? :(

Last edited:
It strikes me that the banking system in the US is somewhat archaic.

Here in the UK if someone was that desperate for the goods then they always have the option of transferring the payment directly from bank account to bank account, which protects the retailer as the payment cannot then be retracted.

No retailer can ever guarantee to please all customers all the time however in this case the OP has discovered that the internet is a two-edged sword. A post from someone with an account set up specifically to berate a retailer looks suspicious whilst everyone who has had great service from that same retailer chips in to defend them. Not what the OP intended at all.

Don't sweat it, Mike, he is obviously a disgruntled seagull poster. Of course, now you have to go find the forums he bashed you in and fix it. Just what you needed on a busy work day.

My condolences, pal.

..snip..
If you had used a card for which the issuing bank was located outside the USA 50 states, and you were having it shipped to an address that wasn't the billing address (I read your comment on that)'then it could have been considered high risk with so much security at the financial level on card fraud, I'm sure your bank might've declined it and you would have called your card issuing bank and said "It's mine, please authorize it." What I do not know is how the EMV standard will change MOTO (mail order--telephone order). I could only speculate that this merchant may have been the subject of too much fraud and that then causes them to have harsh security measures imposed by their credit card merchant processing company.
..snip..

This thread reminds me of a situation I regularly face and it's interesting how different retailers behave.

I live in Brazil, a country with very high import and sales taxes.
I'm an ex-pat and still have a UK bank account and credit cards.
I regularly travel to the US where prices are much lower so I order items by mail order using as ship-to a friend in the US.
If I use my Brazilian credit cards for these transactions there is a high financial tax surcharge on foreign currency operations so I use my UK one. It's highly advantageous to use my UK credit cards.

With most of the suppliers I contact in the USA, the above situation (Brazilian bill-to, UK credit card, ship-to in USA) immediately throws up a red-flag and they generally phone me to check.
Without exception, after 5 or 10 minutes on the phone, my explanation has always been accepted and I subsequently received the items. Probably the toughest I had to deal with was B&H Photo Video but even they ended up accepting the order.
Interesting that the biggest of all, Amazon, never questioned anything.
Now I highly suspect that my success rate getting my orders placed would be a lot lower if I took an aggressive attitude. I understand that the situation I present is highly suspect and it's up to me to reassure the supplier to his satisfaction.

smarino7
if what mike is saying is right ( and i would believe Mike above you hands down) and you go on a bunch of forums just to bash DIRS it is tantamount to defamation of character of an amazing business.You will only shoot yourself in the foot and you( IRONICALLY) will be giving DIRS all the proof they need to sue your A$$ and rightly so.
I personally have been dealing with DIRS and Mike for at least 5 years and have received nothing less than exceptional, courteous and quick service and great prices. i am a business man myself and lose at least $ 7,000.00 to $ 15,000.00 a year in noncollectable receivables and it hurts. So it is DRIS's prerogative to accept a sale or not based on "the bad smell test". That's how i work today,if it doesn't pass the smell test i walk away,i don't need added risks because business is hard to run as it is. Like a wise business man once told me "sometimes the best deals you make are the ones you refuse or don't get"
DIRS has so many fans and has gone way and beyond for so many that someone like you will not put a dent in there Armour and you will be arming them with all the ammunition they need to drag you through the ringer. But DIRS probably has better things to do like continue to supply happy customers with dive gear and really doesn't have the time or need to deal with your pettiness. Actually they don't have to because all the happy customers like me are happy to do it for them.:fail:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom